New to milking, lots of questions.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Crazy4Caprines, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hello everyone. I am so happy to have found these boards! I have had goats for a few years but my first kid was just born 5 days ago to my nubian doe. Right now I have the doeling with momma and she is only using 1 teat so I am milking out the other. We would like to start drinking goat milk all of the time but I have tons of questions first. We have young children ages 4, 3, and 1. I am nervous about them drinking unpasteurized milk so I am thinking of pasteurizing it. I was wondering who all drank goat milk here and if you pasteurize it or not? What are the pros and cons of each? I am also filtering it at the moment through a coffee filter, is that okay or is there something special about the ones you buy for milk? Those are my main questions for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later. Thank you all advance for your help.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

A coffee filter will do the job of foltering. I would pasteurize it if you have small kids. It is better to be safe. You use a double boiler & bring the milk to 165*. Then stick in ice water to cool down quickly. I pasteurize mine to feed back to the goat kids, but also for our use since I have small children too.

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We use only goats milk and we do not pasturize. I have children 12 and 7. We have never had any problems. I have read some things about raw milk and its benifits at :
    www.mercola.com/fcgi/pf/2004/apr/24/raw_milk.htm
    It is a good article.

Belinda

4. Echo

Echo Member

I got goats to start with because of kids problems with cows milk. Have three little ones been drinking raw milk since they were year old never pasturized never had problem.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a coffee filter and designated milk funnel to strain....my children get raw milk....started 9 month old two years on goat milk after baby formula with no trouble at all. I did notice that the goat smell was noticable in pee diapers. I think raw milk tastes better....you get almost to the scald point with the milk and you can taste it when pasteurizing.
    Are you putting the milk in freezer after you strain to chill for an hour? I do mine with the cover off seems to help with flavor.

Be sure to wash and bleach milking utensils religiously!

6. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I use actual dairy stuff (I went a little overboard with enthusiasm when I got my goats...my budget is groaning under the pressure now...). I have a stainless teel milk pail, actual milk strainer (things I should have asked for for Christmas??), with the real milk filters.

I honestly don't see a whole lot of difference between a coffee filter and a milk filter, other than thickness - the milk filters seem thicker to me. So maybe double up the coffee filters?

We are drinking raw milk with three children ages 10,11,12 - I strain it and put the jars immediately into the sink of COLD water. I think ice water would be better.

I'm about to call my local County Extension office to find out about teh sale of the pasteurized milk, though - everywhere I see there are laws against the sale of *raw* milk here in Iowa...but no one really mentioned home-pasteurized stuff...anyone know? if I find out, I'll let y'all know...it might prompt me to buy a pasteurizer just to get rid of some of this excess (and I only HAVE two does!).

-Sarah

7. ByGraceFarms

ByGraceFarms Member

Did you think about making yogurt? You can purchase a yogurt maker online for as little as $14.99 new.

Hoeggar Goat supply also sells an aluminum strainer for a bit cheaper than the stainless one. I have found it to be adequate for the goats I have.

8. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

9. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Another way to make yogurt is to use a pot of hot water. I use my canner, the same one I boil the jars in. I make yogurt in quart jars. One pint of yogurt to one gall of milk. Just straight goats milk would be wonderful! I cant remember the exact reciepe, but will look it up if yall want. Heat the milk to just about the scald stage, then mix a little with the yogurt, reintroduce to the pot of milk and stir well. Put into sterile jars w/lids, into hot water(NOT boiling) - just below lids - put on lid pan, wrap in towels and leave until yogurt is set. It is really so easy, dont know why I dont make it more often.
    Lots of uses for extra milk, yogurt, soft cheese, baking, feed to farm animals, make soap, surely there is more....

10. txsrose

txsrose Member

I could not tell you the years that I have drank raw unpasteurized goat milk. I am a grandmother now but a very young one!! I grew up on raw goats milk because I could not tolerate cows milk. I raised my children on it and now my granddaughter is being raised on it. I don't like the taste of pasteurized milk and we are all healthy. I do have what I consider very clean milking practices. I keep the udders shaved, clean them before milking with iodine/mild detergent solution, milk into a stainless steel milk bucket, filter it through a milk filter with stainless steel funnel and put immediately into ice water in the sink. And at all times wash my hands right before milking and right before filtering the milk. I love the taste of goats milk.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We haven't had milk goats for a few years, but we always drank it filtered and unpastuerized. And will be again soon :)

12. Patti

Patti Well-Known Member

My sister in law has goats, and has NEVER paturized her goat milk... she has 7 kids and they all lived... 3 of her children are over 18 and the other 4 are just about full grown. I also drink it when visiting.... my daughter likes it so much she wants to have a milk goat. We are looking into this. :D

My grandparents always drank goats milk... they are in their 80's now, so I guess it didnt make "them go at a young age." :)

Look at me, I've drank it and I'm fine. :eek: lol... had to throw a little humor in. ;)

13. Thank you from another goat owner here in Missouri, I was wondering whether to pasturize my milk or keep it raw. The article and your advice helped. Thank you.
    Regina

14. lisa_cart521

lisa_cart521 New Member

Does anybody know where i can buy raw goats milk? I like in CA, in the bay area. I have been searching for raw goats milk for months and have had no luck. If anyone could help that'd be great!!