New to goats, urgent Mastitis question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by norsebear, Mar 4, 2005.

1. norsebear

norsebear Member

Hello folks,
    we just started homesteading and raising a couple of goats. We bought a pregnant pygmy goat and she had 4 kids day before yesterday that were all still born. Now it seems her milk is starting to come in but she has nothing to nurse. We are worried she may develop mastitis and even if she doesn't we don't know what to do now. Will the milk go away?

We would be very thankful if you could help us with these questions.

Thanks for your time,
    Mike

2. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss! Can't imagine what I would do.

I'm no expert by any means, but I'm sure she will develop a problem if you do nothing. Are you not interested in milking her to make cheese and/or yogurt? That is what I would do! The first 'milk' she has is colostrum and I would milk it out and save it for future use in case of a disaster, it freezes well. I'm not sure how long it takes for the mothers hormonal stuff to clear from the milk but once that has happened you can milk your girl twice a day and save up untill you have enough to make something with it! Check out these sites and you should find the info you need;

http://kinne.net/index.html This one is exclusively about Pygmy Goats.

http://fiascofarm.com/ This one is about dairy goats.

These are my two favorites for getting the skinny on stuff! Good luck with your girl, I'm sure she is suffering from the loss as you are and needs extra attention more than ever!

Jeannine

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

by all means milk her out twice a day, she will have colustrum in her milk, for a while. when I have extra, I freeze it and mark it day one , day two, and so forth. I have a doe right now, that has 2 week old twins, she still has colustrum in her milk. I think the vet said as a general rule it is only in the milk 7 dyas, but mine usually have it in their milk a full 14 days, after that the milk is sweet, then you know the colusturn is out of the milk. and you can make yogurt, cheese, soap, lots of things you can di with the milk. IF you dont' want to milk her, then just milk her twice a day for a month, then drop to once a day, then every other day, then she will pretty much stop making milk. IF you just let her go , she can get mastitis, or milk fever , or something else. so just do acordingly, and she should be fine. by freezing the milk, you can be sure that if you need it in the future you will have it.
    I had a doe last year, that was a first freshener, and she didn't get her milk in for the first 12 hours, so I used my frozen milk, and her kids got a great start,.

4. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I would begin milking her and freezing it up. You never know but that you'll need that milk for other kids sometime.

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

If you don't want to bother milking her go to another person that has dairy goats and buy 2 tubes of TOMORROW (an infusable antibiotic to infuse directly into the udder for the prevention of mastitis in dry does/cows. Stays in the udder and will eventually be absorbed) from them. Wash the doe's udder really well, wipe down the teats with alcohol pads. Infuse one tube of Tomorrow into each side of the udder. Pinch off the end of the teat and "strip" the medicine up into the udder and massage well. Spray the teats well or dip them in a bleach water solution, let her stand for 5 minutes to drip dry and let her go. She will dry up. If you don't know of anybody that might have some Tomorrow then you can buy a box of it from Tractor Supply but it is about 30.00 a box. Would be cheaper to just get a couple tubes from someone you know, even a dairy cow farmer probably has some on hand. You don't have to back off milking slowly, just not milking will cause her to dry up because there is no demand for more milk to be made.