New to goats...looking for guardian dog

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ladiedolittle, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ladiedolittle

ladiedolittle New Member

:baby04: Hello everybody, my name is Diette, and about a year ago a friend introduced me to goats and just this spring she talked me into getting a couple of goats they are babies and so far I'm hooked, they are fun and great company for my girls ages 9 and 11yrs. The goats we have are one pygmy/niger cross buckling/wether and a doeling that is an alpine/saanan cross.
    We are now looking for a good guardian dog...someone told me that we should get a Great Pyereense puppy, but I would like to know other good ones too, if any of you have ideas, I sure would appreciate knowing some other breeds that, maybe don't get so big, or know of someone who may have one that needs a home. We live in Bangor,Michigan...that is a small town west of Kalamazoo and east of South Haven.

Thank you for your time, Sincerely Diette Piper :baby04:

2. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

I would go with an Pyr/Akbash cross, they will have a bit more grit than just a pyr. That is just what I would use

3. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

We have a PYR
    does a good job but you need to know that they bark ALOT all night long

4. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

The rescue I am with out of Toledo Ohio has a male Great Pyr for adoption. He is currently being trained on my goats and chickens. :)

He is going at the end of the week for his neuter, shots, etc..

He is doing great with my goats and chickens. His adoption fee is $225, and includes all his vet work. Go to this website to see his picture, and more about him. His name is Terek. http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/OH432.html

Let me know what you think

Laura

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Seems to me I just saw one on the barter threads.

Ruth

6. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

be carful with the Akbash blood, they are GREAT at what they do, but they have a lot more of an agressive responce to intruders both of the two and four legged kind, you shouldnt not bond any LGD too closely to the family as it will guard the family and not the livestock, and if this happens with an Akbash they will not let people visit the family with out putting on an agressive display.
    LGD's are not dogs to be house trained and cottled, simple commands are great but they wont be obidenced traind, and should remain out with the animals to do their job.
    Great Pyraneese are better at adapting to multiple people coming and going from the farm, so are Anatolians and the GP/Anatolian crosses,
    if you can find good working Komodors they do a good job too, but you need to recerch all of them to see which would fit your familys needs best, go to a search engine and put in "LGD's" and you should come up with sites detailing all the breed chericteristics and strong and weak points.

dj8675309 likes this.
  7. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

I agree, that would be my whole purpose, Everyone knows I dont like company and so they dont visit, if they do thats thier bad. LOL

Yes do research.

8. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I have used Great Pyrenees for 15 years. I can not say enough good things about them. Make sure whatever LGD you get comes from WORKING parents. Let us know what you get.

9. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I have to agree about the Pyr's temperment. I always joke that any person could come in and steal my goats, but not one coyote or dog whould make it out alive. lol

I have two young children 5 and 6 years old. Not only do they go in the pasture to play with the goats/feed/clean with me, but I am sure as they get older, so will some of their friends that come over. We frequently bring new people into our goat pasture and my Pyr's are so used to different people, that they do not put up much of a fuss. They come over, and sniff away for a few minutes, but then wander off with the goats. Now at night, even we get barked at until they know it;s us, but during the day....anyone can and has gotten into our goat pasture with out problems from the dogs. This is the way we want it, so have socialized the dogs that way. With youngs children, this is the safest way for us right now. I know some pyrs would be a bit more standoffish with new people coming into their territory, so it would just depend on their training.

One thing that you need to remember with ALL LGD's....You MUST be alpha to them. You cannot let them get away with ANYTHING you do not want them to do. They are very independent thinkers (they have to be for livestock work) and will tend to want to boss you. You must stop that immediately. They must always think of you as the boss, or you will have a 100 pound dog telling YOU what to do :rolleyes:

Laura

10. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I love my pyr. She is so wonderful. We got her from some people who rescued her. Well she was dumped(chained) on their gas pig. She was never around people and beat :(. She is the best Girl in the world. It has taken her some time but she has gotten use to us sounds and most of all men She was terrifyed of men. It broke my husbands heart.
    I love the coyote problem we had is now far better. Coyotes in the middle of the day hunting my animals and KIDS :flame: . We are looking for friends for her another pyr.
    She is so cool she has befriended a wild cat them two are always to gether I have pics of the two of them eating together it is so cute. matter of fact sammy wont eat without the cat. I owe alot to the cat when sammy came to us she was seveirly under weight and the cat eating withher helped sammy gain 20 much needed pounds.
    Sammy is great with the kids. She loves the animals that should be here but will tear up any that should not be here.

Good luck in your search