New To Goats / Goats In House

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jackofhearts, Sep 27, 2004.

1. jackofhearts

jackofhearts New Member

I finally got a goat yesterday after wanting one for years. She's a six months old Sanaan.

I have a couple of questions:

First, I would like to be able to bring her in the house with me sometimes, does anyone make goat diapers, or know of any other animal diapers that would fit a goat?

Secondly, I live in a rural area, but it's not that rural. I do have pretty close neighbors, and I was wondering if any of you ever had a problem with complaints from neighbors about the noise? I have five dogs, and I let them bark a reasonable amount of time during the day for several minutes at a time, but for some reason I feel uncomfortable when Carpathia (the goat) starts up...

Thirdly, how much more will she grow after six months?

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I dont know the answers to your questions, but I believe a single goat is a very lonely goat :( This is your chance to get another one..lol

3. jackofhearts

jackofhearts New Member

My roommate may get one in the future. I really don't want two, I feel I would better pay attention to one, I want to take him hiking with me, etc, and having two just complicates things. But...if my friend gets one that would solve both problems. :)

She gets along pretty good with the dogs and follows them around, I'm sure that makes her feel a lot less lonely. Right now she's curled up under my computer desk, but I can't have in the house always...at least not until I can find some sort of goat-diapers.

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Oh Nooooo.....:):) I can tell this one is going to be spoiled! Hmmm...goatie diapers, I've read on other lists of some folks taking a baby diaper and cutting a hole for the tail. I haven't personally tried that. My goats do come into the house, actually its the back deck, from time to time for their cookies, but then thats it and out again. I knew someone who had Alpines that had hers watching ER on TV each week.

You might try getting another goat as one is a lonely number. Never really heard of anyone mentioning their neighbors complain about the noise, not even from any of the Nubians breeders.

Bernice

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Never , ever , have just one goat, of you can't afford to buy another goat for her, then take her back where you bought her.goats, can't stay alone, period. that is just the way it is. It isn't fair to the goat at all, no matter how much you love her, and spend time with her. goats are herd animals, and therefore, can't live alone.
    some people use regular diapers for babies.
    your goat will get as big again, as it is right now.did you see the mother when you bought this goat? well that is how big your goat will get.

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Really, a single goat just isn't a good idea. It's wonderful while youre home and paying attention to the critter, but the minute you have to shut the goat up alone she'll go bonkers. You'll probably find the goat is a whole lot quieter when another goat is in the pen with her.

I hike with my 2 goats occasionally. It really isn't a problem at all.

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Where I am boarding my animals, a man brought his horse and goat to board there. The goat had always been with the horse and likes the horse, but now that she is around other goats, she's in hog heaven. She acts more goatie and hangs out with my goats all day. When I put them up for the night, she looks sad to be losing her companions for the night. When I drive up, she comes running to wait for me to open the door and let them out. The man next door bought a little buckling. THat baby cried all day and all night. He fretted so that he started losing weight. The man bought 2 doelings and now all is well. He will be banding the buckling soon to keep it that way.

8. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

goat diapers...

you might try taking a boys pair of briefs (underware) and put them on the goat backwards...you know the slit part for the tail...then slip in a disposal diaper?

Maybe you ought to sew some kind of skirt on the briefs.

:haha: :eek:

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I can't help but picture that goat standing on the kitchen counter and then attempting a leap to the top of the fridge while no one is looking. Standing on the back of the couch, jumping across the room from coffee table to end table. They love climbing. They also love chewing up everything they can put in their mouths (like my clothes everytime I am with mine, certain ones more than others). I have had baby goats in the house. My children have snuck them in their beds even. But i would never consider one as a house pet, ever. And they are indeed herd animals. They stress out without a companion, and are noisy if they must call out for a pal.