new to gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by almostthere, May 6, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

First off, thanks for the responses to the pear tree question I posted earlier. I'm going to work on those pears this year. :D My next question regards gardening for a first timer. My first and only garden was 20 plus years ago. So, Im starting from scratch. I am hoping to be successfull with tomatos and green beans, the "house favorite". The bigger the garden is, the less we have to mow :) so dh is helping out a bit as well. What were your easiest things you started with? Your favorite gardening book/website? We were looking into a green house, but we are running out of time to get things started. That might be next years project. Thanks in advance for your replies!!

2. figmus

figmus Member

I had an area that had poor soil, but the wife wanted the garden there, so I spent the first year amending the soil. I grew green manure crops and plowed them under. That was last year and now the soil is great and filled with worms. I could not believe the difference that planting the green manure crop. Good Luck

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Best books:

Ruth Stout's No Work Garden
    Rodales Great Garden Shortcuts

Personal advice? Build your soil, build your soil and build your soil. Tomatoes and beans are easy to start with. Throw in a zucchini, because if all else fails, you WILL be unidated with those :haha: Lettuce-leaf is easier than head.
    Brassicas.....purple cauliflower doesn't need the work of tying leaves to blanch...
    Get perrenial beds going ASAP. Asparagus, multiplier onions, sunchokes (and globe chokes depending on your weather) all last for many years.
    Plant early cabbage and get two heads out of each plant. Oh, and did I mention....build your soil!!

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Trust me, mowing is much easier than weeding. I'd suggest you start out small and managable. Squash is easy, and a must for our garden. The tomatoes and beans are also a good choice.
    Things like cantelope and watermelon are a lot of trouble, and worth it when they produce, but they're iffy here.

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our favorite gardening show is Paul James on HGTV. Any of the experts have good info so read all you can. We have a greenhouse this year and wouldn't be without it. The plants get a good start before going to the outside garden. In addition to the other vegies mentioned, corn is easy to grow. Got a tip here last year: plant the seed down 3 inches so the crows don't eat the seed. Found that planting in intervals is good too. We have a long growing season. Amend with peat moss; what a difference. I fertilized every week with regular K-Mart fertilizer that was years old; worked great. Melons were easy to grow as well as cucumbers. Radishes are super simple; also lettuce, beets, chard, herbs, roma tomatoes are tuff to kill.

6. violets

violets Member