Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum and new to bottle babies! Need some advice!

I brought home two baby la mancha does last week. I started feeding just as breeder/farmer had instructed. He told me to buy the "Milk products Grade A Ultra 24 livestock replacer" to feed 8oz 2x a day! I actually was giving them about 10oz. They seemed so hungry?? I started yesterday feeding them 3x a day. Been online researching and reading so many different things! So confused. Am I using correct brand of replacer? Should I be using cows milk , not replacer? How many times a day should I feed?
One baby "Freja" was born 4/8/17 and the other runt from a lot of triplets was born 4/13/17 . I don't know their weight, should I be weighing? The are fun, active, jumping and running all around . Sleep well all night. Follow me everywhere! Once they are fed , they would eat more but seem satisfied.
Their poop , is goldish and a pudding like texture. Not watery .
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

cheryl

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
This is my rule of thumb for full size dairy. I will add - I never use replacer. If I don't have milk from another goat, I use whole milk I buy at the grocery. If you can afford it, organic whole milk from the grocery is a step up.
It is very easy to overfeed bottle babies and cause bloat. Better, in my opinion, to feed less more often.
At
5 # 3 oz 4x
7# 6 oz 3x
10# 7 oz 3x
15# 9 oz 3x
20# 12 oz 3x
25# 20 oz 2x
30# 20 oz 1x
at birth & ongoing, ensure there is fresh hay and water available at kid-level. Note - kids can easily drown in a tall bucket of water.
At 5# I offer a grain feed mixture - combining sweet feed with grower feed containing a coccid preventer. I start with a higher proportion of sweet feed to grower grain and then gradually swap the proportions. I have their grain down 24/7 in a creep feeder, because my other goats will gobble it up. If you have no other animals that will eat it, you can just keep it out in their pen.

You may find the information at this link a good place to start. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/kid-care.htm#firstdays

Pictures of baby goats (actually all goats) are a delight. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question.... since I have been following what breeder told me and been doing the replacer? How do I switch over? I have read that cows milk doesn't have all the nutrients needed as a replacer?

This is my rule of thumb for full size dairy. I will add - I never use replacer. If I don't have milk from another goat, I use whole milk I buy at the grocery. If you can afford it, organic whole milk from the grocery is a step up.
It is very easy to overfeed bottle babies and cause bloat. Better, in my opinion, to feed less more often.
At
5 # 3 oz 4x
7# 6 oz 3x
10# 7 oz 3x
15# 9 oz 3x
20# 12 oz 3x
25# 20 oz 2x
30# 20 oz 1x
at birth & ongoing, ensure there is fresh hay and water available at kid-level. Note - kids can easily drown in a tall bucket of water.
At 5# I offer a grain feed mixture - combining sweet feed with grower feed containing a coccid preventer. I start with a higher proportion of sweet feed to grower grain and then gradually swap the proportions. I have their grain down 24/7 in a creep feeder, because my other goats will gobble it up. If you have no other animals that will eat it, you can just keep it out in their pen.

You may find the information at this link a good place to start. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/kid-care.htm#firstdays

Pictures of baby goats (actually all goats) are a delight. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I don't want to challenge your breeder and I've never used replacer so I don't have any experiences to share. All I can tell you is that I've had good outcomes using store bought whole milk and a number of my goat mentors swore off replacers.

If you decide to switch, my suggestion would be to do it in percentages. 90% replacer to 10% milk for a day or two, then 20% milk and 80% replacer for a couple days, and so on. That way the transition is gradual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts