New to board and love it!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Conni, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

Hi!

I came across this board last night and love it. Thanks to whoever runs it. I have learned so much already from reading the threads!

We recently bought some land that we may move too at some point. Right now we live in town. I am wondering if it is possible to keep some cattle on it and drive out to check on them? (20-30 min one way) Is this advisable? Would I need to drive out every day of the week? Or should I just forget about having any livestock until we actually live there??

Does anyone else have a situation like this? Does it work for you? My dh is saying it cant be done. I only want a few calves and a horse -- ok maybe a goat later on too... :) Of course we are worried about coyotes, fences, people who know we dont live on the property, etc...

Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Conni

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Many farmers rent pastures that are some distance from home and then check on their livestock a few times per week. I have known some that only make a check once a week, but feel that is certainly too long between visits.

Making sure of an adequate water supply is one of the main things. Observing each animal for signs of pink eye during fly season is needed. Of course you must have good tight fences to ensure that the cattle don't get out and pose a threat to motorists, etc.

Edited to add---oh, yes, Welcome!

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If you can establish contact with someone in the area that you feel reasoniably comfortable with keeping an eye on the place then go ahead. This person needs to see daily any changes that warrant calling you to make fence repairs, doctor animals, ect. I would not be comfortable that distance away to visit only once weekly without a support system in place. Our critters are checked on at least 4 times per day, but they are small and it is convienent here.

4. designer

designer Well-Known Member

5. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I would rather go up everyday or every other day at the least. The best thing to do would be to move there. However, I dont think dh is ready to leave the convenience of town and being so close to his work. :)

Another question-- how old does a calf need to be for coyotes not to bother it? Or how maybe I should ask how big? Is a Donkey a good thing to keep around to fight off predators?

Should I be posting this on the Cattle section?

Thanks!

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Coyotes will take a calf that can't get away so it depends a bit on how determined the coyotes are, most running calves can get away. We have donkeys for flock protection of our sheep, and they do/can work, but the task of prtecting my sheep is my job and not well filled affordably by anything short of me killing the coyotes. They work dogs work, llamas work, I'm sure a horse would work, but they all cost more than you may want to spend annually. If I still had cattle here I wouldn't worry about coyotes, as I would likely have Angus and they are VERY protective mothers. I never lost any Herfords or Hereford Simintal cattle for that matter and they didnt have a herd protection animal. Sheep I lose now and then, and I can't wait to be rid of my donkeys, I'll use electric fences and 00 buckshot to protect the flock.

7. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

Thanks Ross.

You said you cant wait to be rid of your donkeys? Are they a pain? We went 4-wheeling on a guys place in March, there was a donkey and he was a real PAIN! lol Are they all like that?

We are just trying to think of everything and find out all we can. I really want my boys to learn about livestock and how to care for it, etc... So we dont plan on having a big herd of anything. We dont have enough land. I do think I am interested in the Black Angus or Hereford cattle tho after reading.

8. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

9. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Conni! :)
    If you get some spare time, check out the archives. Lots of topics covered over the last 5+ years.

10. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Oh good. Another poster to maul.

11. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! I am enjoying reading all the archives. Last night I did a search on home schooling and came up with SO many posts about it on here.

What a great board! Everyone seems so friendly.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Welcome Conni! I live in the city & have a country place too,but mine is about 3 &1/2 hrs away. I don't have any animals except for some guineas. I do have a close friend that is my next door neighbor in the country that keeps an eye on my place. If you are only 20-30mins away & you have a good supply of water & good fences, a few cattle should be doable.

13. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

14. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Our donkeys are real charactors, and they are like-able enough, just they enjoy getting into trouble, opening gates, stealing lambs, and even attacking a black lamb once. If you want to know why the term jack_ _ _ became slang, buy a donkey.

15. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Welcome! Got a tin foil hat?LOL

If you build, consider off-grid for sure...worth the effort!