New to all of this

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TEXKAT, Oct 1, 2004.

1. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

Hi Y'all -
    I'm fixin' to move out further in the country (by the end of the year)...about 16 miles from the nearest town. So far I've been looking at places with 15+ acres. I've been surfing the net looking for homestead info for quite awhile now...it's my dream to have my own place. I haven't much experience in self-reliance...but starting to learn.

What advice would you give a new chick in this whole homesteading thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks ~TexKat

2. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Start small and ask questions. Expand it a little at a time.

3. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Yes.. by all means start small ...
    We're new to our place as well..after wanting things for so long and finally seeing them within reach we rushed into several acqusitions that have put crimps in the finances with the " oh crap I didn't think of that " sort of things.
    Everyone here is so nice and helpful.. most have been there at some time or another and happily answer any questiosn you might have.

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Three votes for "start small" because as suzy says, no matter how much you research, expenses you didn't expect crop up and you do not want them demolishing your dream just as you were getting started.

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome texcat :D . I did just what you are thinking of doing about 8 yrs ago and haven't looked back. Its a great life, in the country and I agree, with the others to start small, get some good books, and read up over the winter. You'll have a much better idea of what you want on your homestead and the work involved. Don't bite off more than you can handle, be prepared for alot of hard work, some heartbreak, and a ton of satisfaction in growing whatever tickles your fancy. I started with a few small gardens the first year, 50 meat chickens the next(wow too many for first timer at slaughter time!). I now have 5 pigs, 25 meat chickens in the freezer, 25 laying hens(they are sweeties...not like the idiot meat birds) and 7 turkeys live and two in the freezer. I'm having a blast, you will too! :yeeha: Good luck and happy homesteading!

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Read, read , read, and hang around here in your spare time. And don't rush to buy that tractor!

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............................................Tex , when you find a property that you decide to purchase , make sure that (a) the Taxing Authority doesn't Automatically RECLASSIFY it from Agricultural to normal usuage . They play games and then you have play catchup to make sure it STAYS Ag . (b) If , the Tax Authority tries to assess back taxes because the current owner had enjoyed an AG status tax rate make sure that You don't get stuck with paying ANY property taxes from reclassification at your closing . I , would PUT very specific language in the "Offer" to purchase that the current owner Pays ANY property taxes levied by the Taxing authority , just my thouughts , ...fordy.... :eek: :)