New Survey Method

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Nov 9, 2006.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

I was discussing all the talk that goes on here about finding the property lines from the surveyed corners with a buddy he told me what he did.

He thought I was a fool to try to find lines inthe day light.
    He has a buddy witha highpowered spotlight stand on the corner and point it at him .On a still night they can talk back and forth over a mile but you could always use a radio or cell phone. Cant see it ?Have him move over some. hold it higher. wave it some .etc still cant see? Point it straight up.
    He startes at the oppoisite corner and ties a bit of survey flag every few feet or sets a survey stake like every 10 or 20 feet. Sure the guy at the other end may be off a foot or 2 or even 20 at any particular time but by setting lots of stakes its easy to see where you had to get off line a bit.
    In the daylight its an easy mater to line everything up.

2. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

There are actually surveying instruments, for the last several decades (pre GPS), which project a narrow beam of light precisely straight up so that distant, maybe up to 30 miles, observers can align other instruments with the beam of light in order to turn angles (works best on clear dark nights, almost worthless most days).

3. fantasymaker

bet they aint cheep but if you could rent one IO bet the would solve a lot of the porblems here

4. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

If you have a disput with the other property owner over the line the only thing that matters is that a regersterd surveyor makes the survey. It doesn't matter what you do it is not legal in court. If you are trying to find the line to build a fence or sometning like that what you do is OK as long as the courners are established.

5. fantasymaker

Spend much time in court over these manners?

6. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Not realy My wife worked for the state surveyor. I heard severial horror stories. What I sais was true. If you have a disput with the other land ouner you either agree on the boundry or go to court. Some of the cases are over such a small area that only the lawers get what it is worth.

7. hillsidedigger

Its generally a lot less expensive and far less time consuming to allow a surveyor to resolve a dispute rather than to go to court.

Some people will not listen to reason.

8. fantasymaker

LOL I thought so!
    As far as I can tell reality has no place in the courtroom!
    I bet hillsidedigger backs me up on this one!
    The truth of the matter is there is just no telling what will happen in court.

9. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Old Vet, correct me if I misunderstood:

I think the point Old Vet was trying to make is: use whatever means you want to to determine the lines, but IF it ever ends up in court, the only acceptable survey is a survey done by a licensed surveyor.

And he is correct in saying this.

10. fantasymaker

Nope he isnt

11. hillsidedigger

Boundary determination in court is a crap-shoot

yet the rules of law are based on statutes and "precedents", supposedly!

12. hillbillyman

hillbillyman Member

Huh????

Im not sure what state you are in but in Kentucky when property is disputed a couple of things can happen. Both parties involved will hire a surveyor to survey the disputed boundary or the judge will appoint a surveyor. Either way, the surveyor presents the evidence gathered in the field and the JUDGE decides who actually owns the property.

The only way I could see a judge allowing some other survey method might be if both parties agreed upon it. Ive been involved in numerous cases in the past 5 years and each case had a survey performed by a licensed surveyor.

I guess the laws may be different but Im yet to see anything different.

13. fantasymaker

go back to the original statement

""If you have a disput with the other property owner over the line the only thing that matters is that a regersterd surveyor makes the survey. It doesn't matter what you do it is not legal in court. If you are trying to find the line to build a fence or sometning like that what you do is OK as long as the courners are established.""

What we are saying is a court can do anything Ive seen a judge tell a baliff to grab a poloroid and go take a picture.
    Ive seen a judge ignore 5 surveyers and take a "survey" by a befuddled old man hand drawn in court as the judge told him what to do.
    Ive seen a judge say I dont like any of this so here is what you are going to do.
    Ive seen judges say tell surevyors to do it over till it comes out "this" way

ive seen surveysdone by allkinds of people accepted overregistered surveyers

14. hillbillyman

hillbillyman Member

I see where you are coming from. You are correct because the judge is the one who decides what is right or wrong. As I said earlier, my experiences have always shown the judge agreeing with the survey of a licensed surveyor. Ive been involved in approximately 30 to 35 cases.

What state are you in?

15. fantasymaker

Im in IL
    Id say that if that holds true for 35 cases you have a much better system than Il ......OPPS what am I sayin? EVERYONE has a better system than IL!

16. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Then just draw your own survey then go to court and claim what is others.Maby you can draw the court house in your drewing and calim that also. In most cases the judge will through it out. But in IL you never know.