Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little house next door was recently sold. I would like to be neighborly and introduce myself, but I have yet to see the occupant. Neighborhood chat, a few hands along, but seems to have started with the last owner, says an older woman whose son bought this for her "instead of an old-age home". It appears she drives. At least, a nice car is over there at night. Car gone all day every day, lights on for a few minutes in the evening. I'm starting to obsess on the LEAVES. The village picks up if you rake to the curb. No raking over there. It's knee-high. Luckily there's a chunk of fence across the back, or all the leaves would be in my yard. We won't talk about the front. :grumble:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Was she dumped and living their alone.....son comes and brings food or stay at night?
doesn't sound like she is able to do much .maybe not even come outside?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Try leaving her a welcome note, inviting her for lunch or something? I'd be friendly before mentioning the leaves. She may not know, or may not be able to do the raking?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frankly, I'm gradually headed in the direction of little-old-lady status myself (a few months past 64), commute and work three days a week, and am tending a half-acre yard with more trees by myself already.

·
Premium Member
25,219 Posts
Personally, I would offer to rake and cart away her leaves for free! I've got a fenced garden where they wouldn't blow away. The garden needs the mulch!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Forget about the leaves, they're not your problem if the leaves aren't coming onto your own property. Just be a good neighbour welcoming a new resident to the neighbourhood, go over there and introduce yourself shortly after you see the car come home in the evening. If nobody answers then leave a welcome note scotch taped on the door or tucked under the windshield wiper on the windshield of the car where it can't be missed. Leave your name and phone number and let her know you want to meet her, also ask if there's anything she needs or if you can help her with getting acquainted with her new neighbourhood.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I'm posting once more. Then anyone who wants to keep hashing over this and beating up on me may do so with my best good will and w-o my attention ;) Y'all guilted me into thinking I should go rake. (Yes, Paumon, I am downwind, so a fair portion find their way over here.) I had done perhaps 2/3 of the areas in front of their house and from the sidewalk to the street. As I'm raking, the car goes past me and pulls into the driveway. I can't make out the driver. I hear the car door, the car lock beeper... and that's it. Into the house. Oh, well. It took under an hour, the exercise is good, and I'm a "spry" 64, after all.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
Well, they COULD have thought you were the yard help!

Mon

Reactions: Sawmill Jim

·
Premium Member
25,219 Posts
I don't know about anyone else here but if someone was in my yard doing yard work I would want to know who they were and why they were on my property.
Anyone here thinking there just might be a problem there?????

I'll admit there is a house near me that has a yard full of leaves. House is vacant. I have been thinking about "stealing" their leaves (some of which blew off my tree). I don't let the fact that leaves are laying in the yard get to me. But I do keep thinking "those leaves would be so nice for the rabbits and my garden".

Use Less, good for you for trying to help a neighbor. I hope they turn out to be nice and quiet people.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I'd watch for when the car comes home, take over a loaf of freshly baked bread and welcome them to the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I'm a spry 69 yr. old. I can drive walk some cook and do lots of things but I can't rake leaves. Knee, hip and back problems.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I don't know about anyone else here but if someone was in my yard doing yard work I would want to know who they were and why they were on my property.
Anyone here thinking there just might be a problem there?????

I'll admit there is a house near me that has a yard full of leaves. House is vacant. I have been thinking about "stealing" their leaves (some of which blew off my tree). I don't let the fact that leaves are laying in the yard get to me. But I do keep thinking "those leaves would be so nice for the rabbits and my garden".

Use Less, good for you for trying to help a neighbor. I hope they turn out to be nice and quiet people.
Drop by and get mine anytime and take those darn walnuts too :sing: I an't racking no leaves .If the good Lord hadn't wanted them there he wouldn't put em there :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Drop by and get mine anytime and take those darn walnuts too :sing: I an't racking no leaves .If the good Lord hadn't wanted them there he wouldn't put em there :D
Well, that's a great way of looking at it! Especially if they aren't doing any harm. :D

Reactions: Sawmill Jim
1 - 20 of 28 Posts