New Solar Cell Developed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Actually, solar roofing shingles are already on the market, but quite pricey.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I wouldnt hold my breath.The last article here about wonder cells,I went to the companies site.It was filled with might be,could be,may be,etc,nothing firm.The media report had em in our hands in 5 years.

I went to site above,it asks for a password but seems to be a raw science site.Raw science theory to viable product in 5 years? I doubt it.

As for Reuters and their 6% claim of efficiency from solar cells,I believe they are currently in the 12-15% range for panels available commercially right now.So if thats any indication of their research and knowledge,I wouldnt put much faith in the rest of the story.

As for would it be nice? It would change the world.I think thats great.
    The powers that be wouldnt think so,our tax methods would be turned upside down.
    For that reason alone I doubt we will have anything challenge King Oil for dominance in our lifetimes.
    IMHO,YMMV.

Gee,Im a gloomy Gus today,eh?

BooBoo

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been hearing these kinds of stories since the1970s ("new breakthrough in technology will mean cheaper PVs), and before that it was about nuclear power producing electricity that was too cheap to meter.
    It takes a long time to get a new technology to market at low prices, especially if war or something big like the space program isn't there pumping lots of taxpayer's money into it.
    In the last ten years, PVs have gotten a bit cheaper, but everytime something happens to make them cheaper, inflation or increasing world-wide demand prevents the price from dropping much.
    I'm going to stick with good old crystalline silicone base PVs, some of mine are going on 24 years with no problems (and they had a 10yr warranty when new) while my newest ones have a 25 year warranty. My old thin film Sovonics turned out to be junk, and I don't quite trust the newer versions of the thin film panels.

Jim

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Which is a shame ,I wonder about them too(ie UNISOLAR).They have such good heat tolerance vrs voltage drop,good shading characteristics,and you can put a bullet through them and they keep on working.The question is lifespan of panels,and that hasnt been answered yet.That said,where its HOT,like Australia,they are big hits in the market there.
    Time will tell ultimately,but can I afford to risk it?
    Nope.Monocrystalline for me.

BooBoo

6. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Thin film? Been there, done that, never again. :no:

The manufacturers of thin film don't give a hoot about longevity beyond their warranty period. Some, like Chronar, pumped out tons of panels, then folded up so they didn't get burned with tons of returns. I consider myself lucky that I was able to find a buyer for the thin film panels I had bought before they had the chance to drop below 50% in output.

With the material that thin, there just isn't enough there to maintain good operation as the semiconductor material ages and breaks down.

The majority of thin films are already poor at conversion efficiency to begin with, compared to the crystalline silicon cells which have 2 to 4 times the efficiency.

Of course, you CAN buy higher efficiency thin films at even higher prices, but then you might as well spend that same money on crystalline silicon and know they will probably last for decades.

Just don't buy Siemens, now Shell Solar... Just kidding :haha:

I still haven't heard back from Shell Solar with any explanation for the weird discoloration on my Siemens panels.

Bob