New Software for CSA's & small farmers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gary in AL, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

Hope this is the right place to post this.
    For the last 5 months or so I have been working on software for CSA’s that either vegetable producers or livestock and now it is nearly ready. I had a concern for family farms and wanted to give them a tool that would help them. So, I started working with a livestock producer and a vegetable producer to come up with this software. This is the result of a bunch of meetings and a good deal of work. We are also working with our dept. of agriculture to get it into the hands of farmers statewide. I just got the website up today and will be putting more detail into soon but tell me what you think. Gary

www.farmhandsoftware.com

2. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

I quickly looked through you site at lunch time, like what I saw so far but... is this shareware, free download, download for a fee, available on CD, etc...
    I'll look it over again when I have more time. I like the ability to do separate livestock enterprises and different produce enterprises.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Livestock...I don't see where you can enter who was bred to who and if there was an offspring and when. No place to list the disposal date and how disposed (sold, butchered, died). Can you link up parentage to click on an individual and get their parent info?

I think rotation issues should be by itself as the object of rotation is the pasture, not the animal.

It is not clear if the mailing deal results in a postcard that can be mailed by itself or needs to be enveloped because it is printed on both sides? Is the user able to define the parameters of what constitutes a specific mailing? The last three pruchases would be good to have listed on the customer info sheet, or better yet, a link to the entire purchase history. Are payment entries linked to the specific customer who made them? Is there inventory tracking? Inventory projection (how many hogs will be available by whatever date?)

Are expenses allocated to enterprise, species, individual animal? Does it calculate cost per whatever based on expenses that are entered? Is there room for straight expenses and also depreciable ones?

Do your reports tell you exactly what you sold during a specific time period? For example, all beef sold in July and the specific cuts thereof?

That's just off the top of my head. I might be asking for too much, but those are things I would love to have.

4. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

Jena,
    We didn't include much on the breeding side of things in this first release. We have the "sire" and "dame" and then a "notes" section where anything and all you want to enter can be.
    There is an place set up to define your pastures under the "Rotation" heading and reporting can be done by pasture as well as by animal.
    The mailing is setup for a 4x6 card to reduce the cost of mailing. Your offerings will go on one side and mailing info on the other.
    There is a section on "contracts" this is where you setup when people will pickup their product and how much or many they will be picking up. Then when they pickup their product and you enter payment this will be logged into an "actual" file. You can then print reports comparing the two. Payments are also logged by customer and product. Reports can be printed by date, customer or product.
    Expenses are logged by area (general, livestock, produce) with quantities and uom for logging large quantities of stuff like feed, manure, topsoil, etc. We can also split expenses into different accounts. THen we provide a way to transfer these expenses into Quickbooks and you have that functionality.
    All reports are by date range and then on the applicable reports product, area and several other things are part of the reporting variables.
    This software is just being released so we are open for suggestions.
    We have our first showing this weekend in Waco, Ga. at a Georgia Organics Workshop.
    Wish me luck, I haven't had much income for the last 5 months while writting this.
    Gary