Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our Cabins is an older tiny trailer with addition......all sided with vinyl siding. We are adding an "umbrella roof" over the entire structure (to protect the old roof, sides and for sun protection in summer - with overhang that will keep out sun, plus arbor with vines....)

We are thinking about adding insulation and more siding on the north/west sides. Can we just frame those sides, then hang solid foam insulation, then put the new siding over the whole side? And leave the vinyl siding on there? Or would that create a moisture problem?

If it might cause a moisture problem, how could the new skin be constructed to avoid any moisture problem?

Since there will be an "umbrella roof" over it, would that be enough to keep out any trouble moisture?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Stripping vynal is pretty easy, then you can check the wall underneith correct any problems and tack on an air barrier if it needs it. Vynal siding is designed to breathe but I would still strip it.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Most vinyl is attached so poorly you could remove it with a leaf blower. I would take it off. There's a good chance that it's poorly constructed and layered so you're better off tearing it off to the sheathing. Then wrap it in tar paper or tyvec and side it.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice article and pictures - from SolarGary. Thank you. Actually, it is similar to what is already in place at our trailer. The trailer has an entire "sun porch" added the full length of the trailer. Windows along all three sides.

The "umbrella" we need to add will be a metal roof over the whole top. The roof was not put on properly, the windows are old and leak and the new roof will be cheaper, plus keep the heat off and water out. The plan is to extend the roof out over the south side and not put the metal there, plant vines that will shade in summer.

As for the vinyl.......sounds like I need to pull it off and see what is under there.....then proceed. Thank you everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts