New shoot 'em dead law in Florida

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Apr 5, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Pass the state law today, as of October 1st you can use deadly force to stop a criminals advances in your yard, in the street, ect. You are required to try to exit the area first though, to avoid needing to use force. But if you have small children or such to protect, this will be added to your defence. Local law people first stated that they did not want the law in place - they now claim neuterality. There are thousands of people here licensed to carry hidden firearms, the criminals are now not going to be able to intimidate people as easily as before.

Can you imagine how polite the public would become if everybody had a hogleg straped to their hip?

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Does anything really surprise us about Flori DUH?

3. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

About time! One shouldn't have to retreat all the way inside the house to defend oneself from an aggressor.

4. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with you Bladesmith- I love living in Florida! Daryll in NW FLA :dance:

5. wtexasfam

wtexasfam Active Member

Live and love Texas but love Florida too. Aaamen!

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I agree with Bladesmith too. Years ago when I went to a concealed weapons class we were instructed to retreat into our house and retreat to another room then retreat out a window if necessary to avoid shooting an attacker but it was ok to shoot under extenuating circumstances. This law will make the criminals think twice because now firing back at them in self defense is legal. :D :D :D

Living in Florida now has a new perk! We get to defend our homes, families and lives. :p

7. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Really??

Here in Indiana I know of two cases where older people shot through doors and killed people in their yards. No prosecution in either case. Granted one was about two years ago, and the other was about 15 years ago. Maybe it has to do with how the county prosecutor feels about it and what kind of a record the dead guy has. In these two cases both of the criminals had records and both were there to steal. I am fortunate that we live outside of town and have been known to always have at least one large dog on the property. We never have a problem.

Duke

8. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Here in Washington, last I heard, you can shoot if you're in the furthest corner of your house. But you have to make sure they don't leave after they've been shot. if they die in your front yard, you're toast.

9. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

They said the same thing would happen when Fla expanded its CCW laws. didn't happen. Same thing here. What hasn't changed is the legal principal of being under threat. An armed or aggressive invader in your yard putting you or yours at physical risk can be put down. All they've done is expand your safety range.

10. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Better then Canada. If a burgler comes into your house, you're supposed to let them take your stuff and wait till the police get there (which as we all know can take some time). You guys in Florida are lucky bums

11. Lumbering ox

Lumbering ox Member

So if I lived in Florida, and someone came into my house I have to run away if I can, or I guess ask nicely if they would mind leaving pretty please, unless I happen to have kids that some state authoity deems worthy of staying behind to protect... and even then it is only added to my defence. The saddest thing is, this situation probably is one of the best ones among the supposed free nations.

Well its a good thing all those vets died for our freedoms ;)

Mental note, when doing crime spree in Florida, make sure I am not between resident and door, and pick on older people with older kids.

12. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I would like that law here. Why,.... we bought this house from a elder lady and her Lawyers.
    Her son (a 65 year old), still after 6 months thinks this house should be his. He is not quite all there. He has admitted to me, he is keeping watch on this house, the he knew our gate was locked. He was smart enough to stay on the other side of the fence when he was talking to me. He is a snicky B**** . Basicly he is stocking us, the Sheriff will not do anything.
    I would like to have the right to defend myself, without worry of going to jail because I am protecting my son and myself, no matter where I am on the property.

I can't rely on the Sheriff to get here in a timely matter. Do have 30-30,, and such in the house and know how to use them, quite well. And will proctect my son and myself if need. But again, it would be nice, not to have to be treated like the bad person when I would have to defend my family.

13. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Wow, am i ever thrilled to be a native Floridian (gg-grandpa was too, born 1824...only it wasn't even a state then. His father had to have a passport to travel to "Indian Territory).

A cop here once told me if I shot an intruder in the yard to drag the body over the door jam and say he came inside first. Now I won't have to throw my back out dragging bodies around. Life here just gets better and better!

If you are over 65 you can get away with more...the courts half close one eye when it comes to criminals vs elderly or pregnant women....so if you are pushing 70 and pregnant you have more rights!

14. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Here in OK if there is an intruder inside your home, & you decide that he is threatening you or your family,with or without a weapon,you are legal to shoot in self defense. That is only INSIDE your home,not in the yard or outbuildings unless you are defending yourself from imminent danger.