New "Santa" tradition (kids-don't look!)

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by caryatid, Dec 25, 2006.

1. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

If you have a little "believer" looking over your shoulder- close this thread! :)
    :)

We began a new holiday tradition this year.
    Last year my (then 9yo) DD figured out the truth about the jolly ol' fat man after the big day. She asked me, and I simply replied "Well...what do you think, and why?" She rationalized it all out and drew her own conclusions.

We had a little talk about how wonderful it can be to give to someone, expecting no recognition. So this year, she got to "put on the hat."

We went shopping together for stocking stuffers, and she got to choose whatever she wanted for her siblings. Occasionally I reminded her to pick things for herself too, (so the other's wouldn't notice) if everyone was getting something similar (example- they all got new tooth brushes, crayons, etc...)

I woke her up at midnight, and silently we crept to the tree. It took an hour to finish, but we did it, and she scampered off to bed. Then I went to work. The little elf had chosen so well for the others, but of course forgot herself (except when I reminded her). So her stocking was woefully empty. *giggle* It isn't anymore! I can't wait to see the look on her face, as she goes to her stocking, planning on pretending suprise for the benefit of her siblings, only to discover some suprises of her own!

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

That is really sweet! We were terribly bummed when our Family With The Right Sized Kids (the ones on the edge of not believing) went and got a divorce last year... and then compounded the offense by not having snow for Christmas this year.

Our plan was to drive up to their house around 5 am, hide the car on the side road, and lug gaily wrapped presents up to their place with little LED lights attached, where we would lob them into the front yard. Then we'd shake sleigh bells furiously and when the lights came on, run!

Of course, there couldn't be footprints (otherwise they didn't fall out of the sleigh).

I was SO looking forward to doing that....

;-)

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Yes, Christmas is for children, getting too old to think such is otherwise. Yes, fantasy world, actually such is based on a European pagan holiday; the actually birth of Christ was somewhere in March or April - there were astronomical event at that time.

Of course Christ is real, there would not be litature about him for 2,000 years later if he was not 'real'. Son Of GOD, I do not know. Grand Healer he was, Divinity associated, I do not know. Lets all celebrate the Source of our Being, nothing else is necessary.

4. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

What a great idea!! I just wish I'd thought of that about 12 years ago!
    Merry Christmas!

5. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

That is a great idea and you're teaching your DD about the joy of giving.

6. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we were raised without Santa but we did have stockings.

As soon as we were old enough to make things or work to earn money to buy things, we were all Santas. We would shop/craft on the sly and get up in the night and fill stockings...

until we were old enough to wake ourselves up, my parents work each child up individually to do thier filling.

WE did the same at Eastertime...

After we became adults, all those who were in close proximity (3-4 hours) would gather at my moms on New Years... spend the weekend and have a stocking filling time... some of those times we were so poor that free samples, picked up during the year, made it to the stockings... thank you Hallmark for those free calendars :)

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Love it!!! Is Christmas not magical?? Have a wonderful day everyone!!
    [​IMG]