New Rejected lamb

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Siryet, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

[​IMG] We found a new ram lamb 2 1/2 pounds in the pen this morning, momma nowhere around.
    We found the mother as we only have 9 sheep and the mother appears to have another lamb inside at least it feels that way. This is a new momma and actually we didn't even know she was pregnant. She has no milk bag/nada/nothing so we have lamb milk replacer.
    We penned up the ewe and have the lamb in the house and have already started to feed it.

Questions: How long do we wait to see if there is another lamb? Is it normal for the ewe to have no milk? Could this lamb be premature? Although this lamb seems to be fully developed and knows how to suck but is very small.
    These are St Croix sheep BTW if that makes a difference.
    Thank you all for your experience.

The afterbirth appears to be still in the ewe.
    The lambs hoofs are very soft also

2. adnilee

adnilee Well-Known Member

Hopefully you are giving the lamb colostrum?
    We had a first time mom this year that had a lamb without us knowing it. We found it dead in the barn, still in it's sack. She didn't look like she had a bag, but we found that she had a small one with plenty of milk. I know it is typical to have problems with first timers. I am no expert, but I wouldn't think she has another lamb. Most of our ewes still look plump for a while after lambing.

Last night, I had a ewe start lambing when I was in the barn. She had a very healthy male and then had another water bag hanging out for the 2nd.
    I am still learning too and left her to deliver herself. After about an hour, I called someone who knows sheep and was told to 'go fishing' for the other lamb. I did and found it had one front leg back and it's head bent back. I finally mangaged to pull it but it was too late.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I certainly go back lookign for more. No milk or udder is odd alright but it happens. You can buy powdered cows colostrum its better than nothing.

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Update: Still no milk/tried to milk the ewe and got about 1/16 of an inch in a coke bottle. We already have been feeding milk replacer. The lamb still cannot stand for long. We trie dto rebond lamb with ewe but she rejected it big time.
    We have the lamb in a box in the house where she will stay untill we are sure she is strong enough to be ok in the barn.

Our vet said if things get worse call him right away, even on Sunday. Gotta love the country vets. :clap:

We have another ewe with a single, could we milk her for the good stuff?

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

That is pretty small to be a single, unless it is a preemie. I'm with Ross, wash up and grease up and go in to check, or get your vet to do it if you are squeemish about it. You need to be getting colostrum to that lamb for the 1st 24 hours. The powdered stuff does ok if you can't get any from the ewe. (I've raised many on it with out a problem.) The little guy will need to be feed quite often for the 1st several days. Being so tiny he won't be able to hold much in his tummy. Smaller quantities more often is best, anyway. Good luck!

6. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

yes milk the other ewe, get some colustrom in the lamb and keep him warm. Whenever I get a ewe that has plenty of milk and a single I will steal some , fill an ice cube tray(or whatever you can get), till frozen and then put the colustrom cubes in baggies in the freezer. Then you know there is always some on hand. Heat with hot water to use don't microwave. Good chance the baby is too small to survive with mom, give up on that idea and just bottle feed.