New Refrigerator Reviews

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Feb 19, 2004.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Am going to have to buy a refrigerator. I have never bought one new--just lucky I guess. But this one, a Kenmore, is over 15 years in my possession and is not as efficient anymore and frankly, is starting to look unsightly.

So we are considering the under $400 types at the hardware store. One is a Roper and another is a Frigidaire. Any experience with these? No ice maker or water dispenser, etc. Just a plain one with freezer on top.

We have free gas and we considered the expensive gas fridges, but we don't have anyone around who will maintain/service them.

2. Personally I wouldn't get a new refrigerator that didn't have the Energy Star rating. It will save energy and money in the long run. $200 more spent on an Energy Star rated refrigerator would be money well spent, if you can do that.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I read somewhere all refers in the North Americas are made by just 2 manufacturerers?Anywho,we got a Woods brand freezer from Best Buy and its very efficient,made in Canada it says.The quality of the case was better than the Roper.BTW,the servel gas refers are very nice, a friend has one and 10 years no problems.So i dont think servicing is a problem really.And I know of old ones still going strong,but there is a thing now about them being possible fire risks?Enjoy that new refer.
    BooBoo

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, we looked at all kinds of 'em. Would have bought a Roper, but it only came in white. So ended up with a basic Kenmore that comes in bisque and was a good deal.

Those that were rated energy star all used much more energy than smaller units. We wanted a 16 cubic foot style and ended up with just over 18 cubic feet so we could get color. Still used less energy than the ones rated 'energy star'. That rating didn't impress us enough to buy the larger size, etc.

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Unless Sears has changed manufacturers, Kenmore is made by Whirlpool.

I've had both Kenmores and Whirlpools and they were always excellent units.

Also had a number of GEs, which were good units, easily repairable with readily available parts.

But you can't go wrong with a Kenmore.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Whirlpool must make them all! They make the Roper too.

7. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

Kitchenaide

8. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Unless you're wanting to go completely off grid, or have no electricity available, I'd advise against a gas fridge. I had one as my only fridge for twelve years. Had to manually defrost the freezer about once a month. Takes a day to make ice. Can't keep ice cream frozen if you're trying to cycle a couple trays of ice each day. Place warm or room temp food in freezer or main compartment, it'll draw the cold out of everything else. No one works on them...of course, there's very little to go wrong with them. My piezo electric starter went out after a year, had to use matches to relight the burner. They are great, a salvation, if you're off grid or have minimal electricity. My solar panels never produced enough to run even a small fridge. But having free gas made the gas fridge perfect.

When my gas Sibir died, bought a Frigidaire at Lowes. Had a dent in the door about the size of a pencil eraser. They knocked 20% off. Dent didn't bother me as I figured I'd get a few dents in it just jockeying it down the hill, up stairs, down stairs and into the kitchen. You have to "hunt" for the dent. Saved me 70$, which more than paid for a 10 year no questions asked service policy. Usually never get those, but this one pays for food loss, in home repair or replacement.

9. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all,
    I bought my mother a "basic" Kenmore from Sears a few years back,
    and have regretted it ever since. The molding around the door is
    already coming loose, and the molded plastic door trays keep falling
    off when you open the door slightly harder than "gentle". I have
    decided you get what you pay for, and I should have spent a little
    more and got a higher quality model. Oh well, you live and learn!
    stuck in Houston,
    james

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Interesting texican--ours arrived dented today and they would only knock 10% off. So they are bringing a replacement next week.

Thanks for the honest truth about gas fridges.

11. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

My plan someday is to build a walk in cooler instead of having a separate fridge. My parents ran food concessions, and we had a walk in box for the beer kegs. Just an insulated room with the motor/compressor outside. My thought is for the price of a high end fridge (which will go out of style possibly before it's not repairable) I can have a room maybe 6' x 6' with shelving around the perimeter to keep everything I could ever need, cold.

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Just an update.....

They brought the replacement Kenmore from Sears and it was dented too. In fact, dented from inside the panel outwards so it had to happen some other way than shipping. Yet another day hanging around and cleaning out the other refrigerator etc.

I told Sears to come and get the original defective one and I would not be buying one from them at all. I hated that, cause my neighbor was the saleswoman! I was so mad at myself for opening a Sears account to get the $ too. Won't waste my time there again.

Went out to Lowe's and found one very similar, but larger (over 20 cubic feet)and with wire racks for two of them. I bought it. Even with delivery it came to $45 less than the other purchase anyhow. Happens to be a Frigidaire. I'd have bought one from Sam's Club, but none came in almond/bisque.