Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard about it? They're going to turn 40 children loose in an abandonded mining town to build a community on their own with no help from adults.

Most reality shows get boring after the first episode or two, but this sounds really interesting!

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/
 

·
nosey, but disinterested
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a waste of airtime. Should be interesting to see what those kids think of and how they problem solve. Got any idea how they were chosen for the show?
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chickenmommy said:
I'm looking forward to it. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a waste of airtime. Should be interesting to see what those kids think of and how they problem solve. Got any idea how they were chosen for the show?
Not a clue. But if you'll scroll down that page I linked to, it gives a schedule for the upcoming auditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
I heard that no councilors were on site with the children when filming these episodes.
That bothers me. I'm going to do a bit more research on the program first. Don't know if I want to watch something that might have harmed those kids in any way.

I may be all wrong about it to. Just going to check around first to make sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Interesting idea.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,942 Posts
QuiltingLady2 said:
I heard that no councilors were on site with the children when filming these episodes.
That bothers me. I'm going to do a bit more research on the program first. Don't know if I want to watch something that might have harmed those kids in any way.

I may be all wrong about it to. Just going to check around first to make sure.
why would it hurt the kids to be with out an adult .
100 years ago a 14 year old was considered a man or woman quite capable of building a home for them selves and raising a family . This is still true in many parts of the world . I have yet to figure out why our children got so ignorant they cant be trusted as so many seem to feel .
Perhaps its the over protective nature of our society thats done real damage to our children. Its better to let kids try and fail than to make everyone a winner
I look forward to the series and hope it doesnt turn into a "see kids are stupid comentary " like lord of the flies .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,027 Posts
suzyhomemaker09 said:
Ever see " The Lord of the Flies"?
When I told my 13 yr old about this she said "How long do you think before it turns into "Lord of the Flies?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
PyroDon said:
why would it hurt the kids to be with out an adult .
100 years ago a 14 year old was considered a man or woman quite capable of building a home for them selves and raising a family . This is still true in many parts of the world . I have yet to figure out why our children got so ignorant they cant be trusted as so many seem to feel .
Perhaps its the over protective nature of our society thats done real damage to our children. Its better to let kids try and fail than to make everyone a winner
I look forward to the series and hope it doesnt turn into a "see kids are stupid comentary " like lord of the flies .

These aren't 14 year olds. Not all of them anyway. Many of them are young children. And it ain't yesterday... it's today. Like it or not our children have been raised in a different manor than we were.



40 children, 40 days, no adults—eager to prove they can build a better world for tomorrow in the new reality series KID NATION. Settling in Bonanza City, New Mexico, once a thriving mining town but now deserted, these kids, ages 8 to 15 and from all walks of life, will build their own new world, pioneer-style. They will confront grown-up issues while coping with the classic childhood emotions of homesickness, peer pressure and the urge to break every rule. Episodes end with a town meeting in which the kids award one child a gold star worth $20,000, all leading to the grand finale, with an unimaginable test, the biggest awards and a special surprise for every child.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Maybe their parents aren't there, but I am sure there are adults standing by. Otherwise how could it be filmed? Looks very staged to me.
God Bless,
Michele
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
I hope that it will be mroe staged than reality. Then the children would be better cared for.

How far tv has fallen. Getting our jollies from watching children sqawble and fight.

Sorry to be so negative about it. I just can't find the good in it.... yet. It will take some convincing.
 

·
Nohoa Homestead
Joined
·
5,398 Posts
ladycat said:
Have you heard about it? They're going to turn 40 children loose in an abandonded mining town to build a community on their own with no help from adults.

Most reality shows get boring after the first episode or two, but this sounds really interesting!

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/
Oh cool, a remake of Lord of the Flies.

But seriously, do you think they are really going to let these children run amok? What if some widdle pwecious hurts their little selves? It's a MINING town - maybe we'll have some action if a couple fall down a mine shaft! ya think?

glad I don't have a tv

donsgal
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MicheleMomof4 said:
Maybe their parents aren't there, but I am sure there are adults standing by. Otherwise how could it be filmed? Looks very staged to me.
God Bless,
Michele
I'm betting there will be plenty of adults behind the cameras.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,942 Posts
QuiltingLady2 said:
These aren't 14 year olds. Not all of them anyway. Many of them are young children. And it ain't yesterday... it's today. Like it or not our children have been raised in a different manor than we were.
And over protective parents that dont want to find out their kids could live without them . For all the so called advances in child care and teaching its rather strange that Kids today are constantly told what they can't do rather than what they can do. Ever consider that they can't do things simply because adults refuse to let them. Not all children are mindless idiots incapable of getting along or of surviving . Just like adults you never know what a child can do until that child has to . I personally dont think you give kids enough credit. Sure some will be home sick just as hundreds of kids are every year when they get to summer camp, they survive it .
The major problem with lord of the flies , a Book written I might add by an adult to magnify the savagery of human nature, Much the same as the butterfly rebelion. There is a SHTF type book written by a teen ager that is a far better example of how children might deal with the loss of adults, the story line is that an illness wipes out the adult population. Its similar to the NV kids show the tribe though that series seemed to be a combination of lord of the flies and the virus book .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
I think it will be interesting to see how the kids settle down and get to work with out having an adult telling them to do so over and over again. These kids could come away with huge a sense of accomplishment. I'm interested to see how they set any rules, how they enforce them and what they see as the most important tasks. Hopefully they were given the freedom to think and figure it out for themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
The way the world is today I really doubt that these children are in any danger, whatsoever. What better proof would a parent have to sue the company? It's not like they could deny it, Well your honor look here at the tv at evidence number 1, or however they tag evidence. It looks like it would be interesting. The site said that the kids can leave anytime they want to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,309 Posts
I have seen the scenes for it. All that sticks out in my mind is a girl looking rather grumpy & saying, "I DO NOT cook!" Gee, if they all have her attitude I bet they'll get hungry quick. How many kids can actually cook? I'm not talking microwave heating either. I will be anxious to see how they fair in that area. Most kids seem to be nuke it kind of kids.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,942 Posts
Is anyone still watching this ?
What did you think of the church services deal this week ?
Who figures taylor will be voted off the counsel next week ?(was her mom the one who filed the law suit?
Dont think its fair that a pair of sisters are there gives them an advantage of having family to support.
twice now it seems counsel has personal confrontations to influence the giving of the star.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,221 Posts
We're still watching. Have 13 & 14 year olds here. They're both wishing they could be there 'to show them how it's done'.

Bringing up religion really threw me for a loop. I liked the way it turned out, where all the kids got together and prayed, in their way, together. And then sitting down and finding out that Jewish & Christian beliefs start with the same books.

Taylor??? Bet she'll be hearing next week kids telling het, "Deal with it!"
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top