New rabbits coming tomorrow

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CJ, Mar 27, 2004.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We got out of rabbits a couple of years ago, and while I NEVER will raise that many again, we missed having them, especially for the manure for the garden. Hubby and I decided to get 5 does and buck, going to try Rex's this time instead of New Zealands.
    Anyway, we spent the day putting together cages and an area in the barn. I'm pretty excited about this setup, we didn't have this nice of an arrangement before. These hutches all have slide out trays, and I can drive the garden tractor with it's little trailer down the center aisle, and take the manure straight to the compost pile, no shoveling WHOOPEEEE!!! Tomorrow we'll be picking up our new buns!
    [​IMG]

2. ekjns

ekjns Well-Known Member

3. CJ

We raised the NZW's mainly for dog food, we like to feed our shepherds raw meat as much as possible (nowadays we just raise a cow or 2 a year for them, it's much cheaper).
    We've been out of the rabbit business for sometime, but it used to be the meat market preferred white pelted rabbits, and NZW's are a great meat rabbit, the industry standard really.
    I have no clue where the market is today, we are just getting 5 does, for our own needs. However, during the months of the year when hubby is on the road, I'm not about to slaughter the bunnies, so I'll be hitting the farmer's market with them. I can't help but think some fun colors will sell better than solid whites. And, I'll enjoy them more.
    I think the NZW's and Rex's are pretty close in size for meat production though.
    Someone else can probably answer your question better than I can, we're really only doing the rabbits for ourselves this time, so I didn't do any market research.
    Good luck to you though!

4. CJ

Just thought I'd share pictures of the new rabbits if anyone's interested:
    Our new rabbits!

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

What little cuties! I love the feel of rex rabbits' fur! Katahdin sheep are really beautiful too. If I lived on your farm, I'd spend the whole day petting the critters!