Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been building a new rabbitry setup recently and would like to hear some feedback in regards to wind. I've seen several people with similar set ups living in the north where it gets much colder and seem to do fine with the wind.

So far my rabbits have been enclosed in a shed so wind hasn't been a problem, but my new location is pretty much some posts in the ground with a roof. It gets hot most of the year in San Antonio, but we do see weeks where temperature is in the 20's and adding wind to the mix concerns me.

I've heard a lot about not having drafty rabbitries, but having seen lots of people with very similar set ups as I have I'd like to know if I really need to be as concerned about the wind. I don't know if I should include a wall on one or two side so when it is cold and windy there is at least a break against most of the wind or if things will be fine the way they currently are.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1416687818.123334.jpg

I don't want total enclosure, but have considered hanging a couple of tarps on one or two sides to help with the brunt of the wind during winter, allowing me to remove them when it warms up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in the New Orleans area and have similar weather to you. I use tarps like you mentioned in the winter when I know it's going to be exceptionally cold, windy, or rainy. Seems to work fine for me. We had a week last year where it never got above 25 degrees and I was froze in at work. They did fine without the tarps. When I finally got home they didn't seem stressed. My wife took care of them during that time. She said providing fresh unfrozen water several times a day was the hardest part.

T

·
0 Posts
I live up north and have a hitch similar to yours. In the winter, I wrap the hutch in potlatch paper on three sides and drape a tarp over the front. It works pretty well and that way, in the summer there is plenty of circulation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts