New Pygmy Buck/Questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cmharris6002, May 7, 2006.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yesterday I brought home a three year old Pygmy buck. He had been kept as a pet and is in poor condition. He has been over fed on grain and he had no hay or minerals. I deloused him and I am going to worm him this afternoon.

I have Nubian dairy goats but have never owned a buck before. So here are my questions,

1. Does he need ammonium chloride in his mineral, if so how much?
    2. What is the proper amount of grain for him?
    3. should I wean him off grain and only give it to him when he is breeding?

Anyway this little guy has great potential and it is sad to see him looking like a scrub goat.

What was funny is that when I went to pick him up he was chained to the chicken house where he slept, in a fenced area. When I asked the lady about it she didn’t give me much of an answer and the subject changed. Well, after we got him home and settled into his new, grassy pen surrounded by 5’ high chain link fence I expected him to be happy. You know what the little bugger did? He climbed the fence and took off! Know I know why he was chained!
    :rolleyes:

2. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

1.Does he need ammonium chloride in his mineral, if so how much?

Poor boy only got grain?? Sheesh, it is a miracle he never got UC.

2.What is the proper amount of grain for him?

I wouldn't give him any.

3.should I wean him off grain and only give it to him when he is breeding?

yes this is what I would do. He'll be fine on free choice grass hay and all the fresh browse/pasture he can get. Also free choice mineral supplement. Only grain when he is breeding.

Well, after we got him home and settled into his new, grassy pen surrounded by 5’ high chain link fence I expected him to be happy. You know what the little bugger did? He climbed the fence and took off! Know I know why he was chained!

So you aren't going to chain him right? Can you install higher fence or put hot wire along the bottom and a bit above the top to contain him?

3. cmharris6002

Well, we are going to have to keep him on a dog run for awhile. I am going to have to rework my buck area and get electric over there.

I still have two questions,

What is the proper amount of grain for him when breeding?

Does he need ammonium chloride in his mineral, if so how much?

4. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

First of all, he is escaping probably because he is alone. He may have only been with chickens, but it was something and now he is alone. If I were you, I would find him a companion. This should help with the escaping.

As for the grain at breeding time....I only give a small amount. Maybe a cup 2 times a day and it is only when breeding. He got fat on that small amount!

I do not give the ammonium chloride. I think you really only need that if you have a wether or you grain alot.

I am definatley not an expert, but this is what has worked for us.

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

5. cmharris6002

Thanks Tracy.

I have another Pygmy buck to pick up as soon as he's weaned. Until then I can put one of my wethers with him.