New Puppy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by T Lynn, May 14, 2005.

1. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I am new to this post and fairly new to goats. I have had dairy goats for about 1 year. Currently have 5 adults and 6 kids. I have alpines and nubians and 2 crosses. Today I got a 5-6 week old akbash/anatolian puppy!! We have not had problem with loosing goats but have heard coyotes in the area and peolpe do not keep their dogs fenced here. We have 3 1/2 acreas that the goats roam on. So what are the do's and don'ts to get this girl trained right? Do I put her right into the pen with the does or keep her separated but were she can see them? Please let me know any experience that anyone has had. She comes from working parents and was in the pasture with sheep.

Thanks for any advise.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would have left the puppy with mom so she can learn from her. maybe you can bring her back for couple more weeks? and than put her to the goats and she will know what to do.
    susanne

3. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

It is not an option to take her back. I know that it would have been better for her to stay there but they could not keep her for any longer. So now she will have to learn on her own. So I need to know what to do with her.

4. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

We just bought a Komondor Puppy Who was in the same situation as yours. We took him to the goat pasture with us and would let him loose while we did chores so we could keep an eye on him and the girls this has gone on for a couple of weeks as of yesterday he was left there to bond with and protect our goats. My mentor who also has LSG dogs advised us on doing it like this.
    Cuttinpony

5. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

Where did you keep the puppy when he was not with the goats? Is it ok to put her in with kids? Right now the kids are bigger then she is and she shows no interest in chasing them or anything else. Would this be ok for a week or two until she is a little bigger and more active?

6. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

Here are a few websites you might like to look at, both of the people were fantastic when I contacted them and very helpful. We are raising GPs and I wanted to be able to offer raising them specifically as LGDs.

http://www.luckyhit.net/ritestrt.ht....com/[URL] Hope that helps some Melissa

7. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Put the pup in with young goats (if you have some) and leave it with them until it is big enough to fend for itself. Then you can turn it out with all of your goats. Works like a charm for me.

8. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. The websites where very helpful. I have 6 kids that range for 4-8 weeks. I think I will put her with them for now until she is a little bigger. Then out with the does. She will be able to see the does and they can see her so maybe the does will get use to her. The lady I bought the does from had them with a GP so maybe they will be ok. Of course that was about a year ago. Now if only I can convence my 3 year old daughter that the puppy really does belong with the goats. :rolleyes: