new puppy -- shots??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Miz Mary, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

do y'all get your puppies ALL the shots they say to, or just certain ones ?
    WHICH ONES ??????

2. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

IMHO, important ones are Parvo and Lepto..I forget a few others..after the pup is either 12 or 14 weeks old they get rabies shots. You haven't seen a pup die from parvo simply because a stupid ex roommate brought a sick pup to your place and infected your pups. Happened to me.

Ted

3. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Well l give the Fort Dodge puppy shot , it contains Parvo, Distemper, Hepititis, and I also give Corona. I NEVER give Lepto ever!! It is known to have very bad reactions in afghan hounds. Causing blindness and death, even in adult dogs. Lepto is usually found when dogs go into water a lot. We dont have that problem with the afghans.
    I give the "Puppy Shot" at 6, 9 and 12 weeks. Then I get a rabies at 16 weeks.
    I have heard all kinds of different protocols, this has worked for me for about 20 years.
    Alice in Virginia

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

lepto can be passed on through drinking infected water. nasty disease!however if your dog had a bad reaction somthing to watch.has infected even inner city dogs near us. have always used this vaccine with no ill affects

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Distemper/Parvo/Lepto that the vet gives intramuscular are probably a good. The risk is there in vacinnating, but the diseases are deadly.
    Having said that, I lost a best pup from a severe reaction because of agreeing with the vet to give a rhino vaccine. It's an aerosolized form given respiratory in the nose. I regret that something terrible, and will never put a pup through that ever again.
    The DPT is boostered a few weeks later. Rabies vaccine isn't given until about 6 months.
    It's also a good idea to submit a stool sample for specific intestinal parasite examination and treat accordingly for that if needed.

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

6, 9, 12, & 16 wks..... DHLP/CPV (Solo Ject is $3 at Tractor Supply)
    Rabies also at 16 wks. (Given by vet only.. in Texas)

This is the correct protocol. DO NOT.. I repeat DO NOT wait 6 mos. to get a rabies!! Good grief!

By 4 mos. of age, the dog will have all it will need for a year; then a booster of same annually. Some are saying the rabies is only necessary every three years now. Check w/ vets in your area or ag office.

Worming should be done w/Strongid (purchase from vet) at 2/4/6 wks w/fecal to ck for other possible worms.

(Past and current dog breeder, past vet tech, and I stay 'abreast' of such things. :)

7. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Pardon the cut and paste. Just because it is a new protocol does not mean all vets are immediately going to accept it.

NEW!!! VACCINATION PROTOCOL
    by Dr. Jean Dodd
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    All of the 27 Vet Universities in the US have
    followed the immunization protocol as suggested by Dr. Dodd for years.
    All of these Hospitals will be changing their Vaccination Programs
    apparently. This is welcome news and you should print this out and take
    it with you to your Vet should you need reinforcement against
    over-vaccination.

VACCINATION NEWSFLASH [CIMDA support] RE; J DODDS
    VACCINE PROTOCOL I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary
    schools in North America are in the process of changing their protocols
    for vaccinating dogs and cats. Some of this information will present an
    ethical & economic challenge to Vets, and there will be skeptics. Some
    organizations have come up with a political compromise suggesting
    vaccinations every 3 years to appease those who fear loss of income vs.
    those concerned about potential side effects. Politics, traditions, or
    the doctors economic well-being should not be a factor in a medical
    decision.

NEW PRINCIPLES OF IMMUNOLOGY
    Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified
    live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces immunity,
    which is good for the life of the pet (i.e.: canine distemper, parvo,
    feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the
    antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second
    vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted" nor
    are more memory cells induced. Not only are annual boosters for parvo
    and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of
    allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anemia. There is no
    scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual
    administration of MLV vaccines. Puppies receive antibodies through their
    mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies &
    kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity
    will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be
    produced. Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the
    first highly effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart
    SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of
    vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up
    to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of
    age (usually at l year 4 mo) will provide LIFETIME IMMUNITY.

8. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

You don't give lepto for the babies...We use Vanguard 5 plus...covers the main things 6-9-12-16 wks. Rabies at 4 mon. Check with your vet for the timing for the lepto..it can do damage to youngsters.. GrannieD

9. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

The clinic we bring the dogs to offers two different rabies shots, one lasting a year and one that is three or four years. It's the same price. I have them vaccinated yearly with the regular booster, but I haven't done any for kennel cough.

10. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Our dog got whatever puppy shot regimen the breeder did with him before we bought him. After that all he gets is rabies, distemper, and a heartworm pill once a month.

Now, we don't kennel him, go to dog parks, walk around a lot of other dogs, etc. so he's not exposed to other dogs. If you do these sorts of things I would look into what diseases are running in the local dog population and vaccinate for those as well. But for a stay at home farm dog who doens't so much as sniff another dog we feel that what we are doing is sufficent.

Claire

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

>>>>>>DO NOT.. I repeat DO NOT wait 6 mos. to get a rabies!! Good grief!<<<<

I believe the original poster of the "first rabies shot at six months" is from Canada, which has a lesser problem with rabies than we do further south, and therefore a different protocol. Here in the Southeast, and anywhere within crow-flying distance (hmmm...maybe 'monarch flying distance'?) of our southern border, it ranges from 12 to 16 weeks.

I also recommend the Distemper/parvo/hepetitis, watching the lepto. Pups and certain breeds have problems with lepto. Check with your vet.

Enjoy the new puppy! It'll be lively at your house!

12. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Meg Z,
    It's partially correct about the rabies vaccine protocol, though I believe at 6 months that the pups immune system will better utilize a more complete lasting immunity rather than vaccinating earlier. Also, I believe vaccine given at less than 8 weeks isn't going to be that beneficial. It's more helpful to insure that the female dog has immunity to pass on the the young puppies. We protocol with giving 2 sets of puppy shots with the guidance of our veterinarian. I also access both U.S. veterinarian in Minnesota and one on the Ontario side, both giving the recommendations that I accordingly go by along with past breeding experience of 3 healthy litters.
    I also worked in past schooling experience as a vet. assistant tech. I don't consider myself an expert on all immunoligical aspects of vaccination and keep a healthy skeptical eye about which is necessary and which isn't. I also realize various regions have particular considerations. For example, rabies vaccine is requried for all dogs and cats crossing either side of the Canada/U.S. border for any animal 1 yr. or older as far as I currently know, but to be safe, I would vaccinate rabies at 6 months. I might consider early rabies vaccination or more frequency of the other puppy shots on condition that I lived in a higher risk area of Ontario, mainly where it's populated with city dwelling raccoons seems to be the worst where I would worry. JMHO

13. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

My dogs over a year and a half of age only get a rabies vaccine. I don't feel the need to vaccinate for anything else, as most dogs over a year have a strong immunity built up and 'puppy viruses'(w/ the exception of kennel cough) are no problem to fend off. It's easier on them and on my pocketbook.

As puppies under a year old, they receive a distemper-parvo-carona (8-n-1 puppy shot) until it is fully boostered, depending on when the first vaccine was given.
    Some people are afraid of lepto, but after 9 years as a vet tech, we never saw any ill-reaction to it. It's just been in the last couple of years that veterinary science has commented on this in vaccinating puppies. So, all in all, unless your breed is very sensitive, I think it's personal choice.

The main virus that I use that particular vaccination for is parvo-virus. It's a very common and a lot of times fatal intestinal virus we see A LOT of around here(NC). And 9 times out of 10 in unvaccinated dogs under the age of a year. Distemper isn't so common in the US anymore, with maybe the exception of ferral populations. Corona virus is an intestinal virus simular to parvo, usually occurring in older dogs, but again- not common. I've never clinically seen it before. All the other stuff included in the 8-n-1 vacc.(lepto, hep, etc) are really kind of side items. Important, but not things you see a lot of.

If your dog lives in an area that has consistant stray visitors or is going to be in contact with a lot of other dogs period, then the Bordatella vacc may be good for you. It protects against kennel cough, an extremely annoying and communicable 'cold like' cough that is spread through internasal contact and the immediate air space. It's also expensive to get rid of because it often takes round after round of anitbiotics and cough suppresants to kick it.

Of course rabies is a given. It's the law here in NC. They'll euthanize your dog if animal control gets him and he has no proof of ID or rabies vaccination. Here the first vacc is given at 12weeks, then again at 1 year, and subsequently every 3 years after. Unless it needs to be boostered after coming into contact with a possibly rabid animal. Every state Ag dept has their own rules about vacc frequency.

Giardia, a parasitic viral thing, can be vaccinated against, but all in all, I find it rather rediculous. I mean if your pet is constantly drinking out of a stagnant pond or other stagnant water sources, ok, but for the average dog, it's no biggie.

One thing that I would STRONGLY recommend, ESPECIALLY if you have a mosquito population where you live, is getting your pup started on heartworm preventative BEFORE he is 6 months old. Heartworms are spread through mosquitoes and are very expensive to treat as well as sometimes being fatal. And if you start him before 6 months, you don't have to go through the extra cost of a blood test.

Have fun with your new puppy! And don't stress, your vet or some good online resources can help ya get through the whole vaccination stage! :)

14. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

I am surprised that no one mentioned giving them yourself. I mailorder the 7 in 1 shot for my animals. Jeffers is a great place to start, very economical. Pets to Livestock immunizations/vaccinations/treatments are available. ALL instructions are included, syringes, etc.

Michigan has law that Rabies must be administered by vet, BUT our county offers the shot for only $6, or 3yr shot $15. Its a clinic they hold every other month, and its a first come first serve basis.

It is a personal choice, what, how often, and opinions.

Good luck with your decision!

15. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Jeez Miz Mary..what's so hard? Talk to your Veterinarian! This board has NO Vets on it!

You would know with some study that ALL vaccines whether they are for people or animals always have some individuals which have a reaction. It is the same with any type of medications or vaccines in ANY population. The risks are so small and the dangers so great with the unvaccinated one that the vaccines make perfect sense.

They are approved for use if the problems only affect a very small percentage of the population. There are some breeds in which a larger number of their population show more sensitivity than the norm. Like the Collie and Sighthound families. People who own them and do their research know this and take alternate meds or vaccines.

Also, if the Veterinarian is warned that he might be dealing with a sensitive individual there are meds that can be givin at the time of the vaccines to offset any problems.

This is common sense. Talk to your Veterinarian and get the pup vaccinated. Good Grief.

LQ

16. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I mentioned rabies shots as late as possible- but the dogs I was thinking about
    are my papillons- approximately 5 pounds- at 16 weeks, generally about 2-2.5 pounds.
    That's a BIG difference from a larger breed, and the dose of vaccine is the same.
    Hence, we wait as long as possible.

17. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

You know, there are kind ways of suggesting one contact a veterinarian, Little Quacker. Your response was not one of them. Besides, if one did contact a veterinarian clinic one would probably speak to the receptionist, or to an assistant, or to a vet tech who would respond with what the protocal is for their clinic. The chances on talking to the vet are slim for such a question. There have been several knowledgable persons giving Miz Mary good advise. That is what this forum is about. The decision will be Miz Mary's to make for her own animals.

Some states still require annual rabies vaccinations to be given by a veterinarian. Most states, however, only require it every three years.

If you would call my clinic, you would be told that puppies should be started at 8 weeks, boosters at 12, another booster at 16 weeks along with the rabies. Our vaccinations protect against parvo, distemper, corona and lepto. At this time we still recommend annual vaccinations. An annual rabies vaccination is still required in our state.

18. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

i give my dogs their shots that i buy from the feed store. i usually get a pup between 6-9 weeks. unless they have already been shotted i start w/ the 6 way then follow w/ the 7 & 8 ways at 2-3 week intervals. i haven't seen any difference in brands yet. i give them subcutaneous and restrict their exposure to other dogs until 2 weeks after the last shot.
    the state i am in will only issue rabies certs if given by at a vets office, so i use vets for that.

19. laura97

laura97 New Member

I BELEIVE YOU ARE TO GET THE PUPS DEWORMED AND THEN JUST A SHOT OF VACINES TIL THEY ARE ATLEAST 2 MONTHS BUT NOT SURE. SO ANYONE HAVE A BEAGLE/LAB MIX OR EVER SEEN ONE? MY DOGS HAVIN PUPS AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GONNA LOOK LIKE.

20. laura97

laura97 New Member

WHAT DOES A BEAGLE /LAB LOOK LIKE?