New pupppy.... need advice

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texastami, Feb 23, 2004.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Anyone recommend a good puppy training book?? We got an 8 week old female cocker springer yesterday..... and I want to make sure I do everything RIGHT.... or at least the best way possible!! She is black with a white blaze on her chest (shoulder to shoulder down to her tummy from her chin with black pin spots..) We named her Daisy.... should have seen her "PLOP" down after we let her down in the grass..... OOPPSSIE daisy is what came to mind, and it STUCK!!

i have found a bunch of "BUY ME, I WILL TEACH YOU EVERYTHING" books online ... but nothing jumps out at me... and I haven't had much experience "training" dogs... The only one I ever really owned was just naturally intelligent... and our other dog, my dh trained.... but "Daisy" won't be a hunting dog.... just a pal around gotta love me kinda friend!!

She is adorable... full of life and so much fun!! She has bonded really well with my 6 yo daughter... they are inseperable!! Except for the middle of the nite potties... (those are mine, dd says!!) gotta love them!!

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Firstly, one book is not enough for me. Every family is different, every owner is different and every dog is different and every environment is different. My absolute favorites for many years are: MOTHER KNOWS BEST, The Natural Way to Train Your Dog, by Carol Lea Benjamin . She was the head trainer/writer for the American Kennel Club for many years. The second is: THE ART OF RAISING A PUPPY by The Monks of New Skete. I have a few more that I glean tidbits from sometimes but these two are the ones I read and reread all the time for good ideas. I pick what works the best for me, my dog and my situation. Also get a good one on different tricks to teach your pup. This is such fun and it teaches you to teach and your pup learns to learn, which they love!!! This is a good approach and I think you will like it, and you'll have a fun, well trained dog that loves to learn. It is one of the great joys in life to have a dog or dogs that respond to you and love to learn what you love to teach. Watching their doggie brains soak up learning like little sponges is a trip! It's a real boon to totally enjoy a puppy with no fuss, no bother...just fun. That is NOT to say that it's not work. But you will have just about no times when you have to fuss at the dog. Go for it and have a great time. LQ

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Crate train that pup....you will be ever so glad you did. Our Corgis were the first we did this with and they are heaven to have around. They have a place to retreat to, nap in or be restrained if needed. You have a place to put the pup when you can be constantly watching him..you know how they chew besides the piddling problem!! Sure, you get a couple of nites of crying but it becomes their den and a pup will appreciate you for it. Put old blanket or towels in there, a toy or two. No food. They generally will not soil this area as it is their den so if you pop them out to go potty promptly each time they will be housebroken in no time. You will bless yourself forever if you do this,trust me. Also very handy when traveling and far safer than a dog unrestrained in the back of your car. We can tell the dogs "get in your house" and they race for their crates each knowing which one is theirs....they will both retreat there about 10 pm everynite even if we don't put them to bed!! We have an English setter who wasn't crate trained and electric storms send her wild; with a crate she would have a safe retreat. Will never have another dog without doing this. Be sure and buy a crate big enough for expected future size. DEE

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

P.S....this is the method the good breeders use. My neighbor raises greyhounds and she has a crate for each of 13 dogs!! A whole room in her house is the dogs and they have a big low bed for lounging and then their own crates. Her dogs are so well behaved. DEE

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Crate training is important!

I'd recommend "How to raise a puppy you can live with" (can't remember author), "Dogs are from Neptune" by Jean Donaldson, or "The Culture Clash" (also by Donaldson) above any of those recommended above. The Monks of New Skete book is not that great, IMO- a lot of the things they recommend work if you know when to apply it, but if applied incorrectly, they can do more harm than good (and knowing when/how to apply some of them is not something you'll learn from a book.)

Another thing is to sign up for an obedience class ASAP! Even if you can do a large part of the training at home, the socialization that your dog gets from a class is very, very important. Get your dog out and meet lots of people and dogs as soon as she's finished her shots! (This is ESPECIALLY important for a cocker or cocker mix, who can be prone to fear issues.)

If you're near Dallas, I can recommend a group for you, if not, I probably know someone who can.

Cait

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I agree that crate training is wonderful for both you and the puppy. You can find information on "Crate training a puppy" in any search engine on line.

I recommend the best training is one where you and your puppy get assistance from a trainer. Once 'you' learn what to do the puppy will learn. If you have a "Pet Smart" or a "Pet Co" in your area they have a great "Puppy Class". The puppy class has you scratching behind the ears, rubbing their feet, teaching them their name, how to sit, lay using a positive attitude and treating when done correctly (I love this method of training and works very well). They also offer potty training, crate training and other classes in their store, most of them free or for a minimal charge. If there isn't a major Pet Store in your area, find a local pet store and ask about a dog trainer. A dog trainer is well worth the little money spent on teaching you how to teach your puppy and that knowledge is something you will have forever.

oh that wonderful puppy breath!

7. grandee

grandee Member

You really have received a lot of good advice. I also believe in crate training
    a puppy,it gives them a place of their own to retreat to and a feeling of security. They need lots of love and attention, which I am sure Daisy will receive from you and expecially your daughter.
    My DH and I adopted a yr old Rottweiler 4 yrs ago and he is one terrific companion. The owners never knew how to deal with a puppy, let alone this particular breed, and kept him couped up in the crate most all the time. When he was a yr old they took him to the vet to be put down. Fortunately, he contacted the Rottie rescue group and we were able to adopt him.
    I hope you and your family and Daisy will share many many years of love and companionship together.

Grandee

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Yes, I will add my whole hearted applause to crate training. Iit's one of the reason's I recommend the Carol Lea Benjamin book so highly. There's a great chapter in there on this very subject(she had been touting this for 30 years)and some schedules for working people too. You can't miss! LOL LQ

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Crate training is good for you and the puppy. Also, as they age and gain skills, you don't necessarily have to use the crate any longer. My very large dog turned an area into his den without the crate. When he is in at night, that area is by our bed. As a puppy, both he (and our current 9 month old) went into the crate on their own when they were tired and wanted some space.

The Monks books are terrific. Your library probably has them.

Also, as a puppy needs lots of opportunities to do the right thing. Take them out every hour or so the first few days--yes, that means during the night as well. When they have the opportunity to go outside they will. They soon learn that you will take them out regularly and can hold it for those short times. You will know when to make it into 2 hours, then three etc. Be patient. This works well for us. The monks describe it in their puppy book clearly.

Have fun and enjoy.

10. clsmith

clsmith Member

Those are my two favorites also! I think I read in another post that you have heelers? I have one heeler and bought those books when I first got him.

11. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

Awww, I can't wait til I can get a puppy!!! This fall we should be settled into the new house and the cats will have adjusted. and then... we'll unadjust them! hee hee

12. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I agree with the post about training. Works very well and very quickly (at least it did for us).

I would look at getting into an obdeience class if you have one nearby. They are usually cheap and does a lot more to teach you how to train than any book ever will. :)

13. Stray Cat

Stray Cat Well-Known Member

Good Owners, Great Dogs
    copright 1992
    by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson

...covers everything, easy read, and most importantly has lots of pics.

14. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Lots of good suggestions - the two I particularly like are "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" (Rutherford & Neil) and "What All Good Dogs Should Know" (Volhard & Bartlett). I breed dogs, & include one or the other in my puppy packets.

15. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Thank you all for your wonderful advice.... I am very excited! I have the Monks book on hold at the library... along with a few others mentioned here... :) I'll read long into the night next week!!!

Daisy is doing very well.... she is potty training quite nicely... she already seems to understand the word "outside" and will whine when she wakes up as if to say... "take me out NOW!!"....

and we are going to get a crate for her as soon as I get to the store... We crate trained our chessie/lab and it is heaven to be able to have him in his "kennel" when its raining out without the noise or problems other untrained dogs have.....

Will check on Petsmart... or something similiar.... don't want any issues....

Again thanks for all the advice and help!! Truly appreciate it!! :)