new producer feed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Oct 21, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Sounds like it's worth trying so long as it isn't super expensive. Might be able to get something just as nice from your feed store that they make up or just get a list of what you want in your feed and what protein percent you want and see if they'll make you something. My feed store generally will. THat is if you end up not liking this here at the farmstead place. I do like that it has no animal protein products.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Grain products, plant protein products, processed grain by-products, forage products, roughage products, molasses products, calcium carbonate, magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, soybean oil.

This is your feed tag....the only thing they are guaranteeing will be in your feed each and every time they process it is in the guranteed analysis:

Crude Protein Minimum 16.00%
    Crude Fat Minimum 4.00%
    Crude Fiber Maximum 7.50%
    Calcium Minimum/Maximum 0.70% - 1.20%
    Phosphorus Minimum 0.40%
    Salt Minimum/Maximum 0.50% - 1.00%
    Copper Minimum/Maximum 32 ppm/36ppm
    Vitamin A Minimum IU/LB 4,500
    Vitamin D3 Minimum IU/LB 1,000
    Vitamin E Minimum IU/LB 10

They get to the protein, fat and fiber numbers on the tag by using the above gran by products feed tag. Which means each and every time they make this slurry that is then extruded into a pellet it is made by whatever is the cheapest grain by products on the commodities market that month. The only constant in your sack of pellets is from the molassas on, the rest changes at each milling. It also contains nothing more than a premixed minerals and vitamins (usually called calf pack).

I would want my feed tag in a meat goat pellet to at least have a better mineral, viatmins and yeast, lactobacillicus cultures for the rumen...perhaps biotin, kelp...I would also want it to say alfalfa meal instead of protein plant...soy oil is fine for me for a veggy oil, but if it is mixture of soy oil and mollassas in the discription and then molassas is way up at the top of the tag and soy is at the bottom, you know all the liquid to slurry the byproducts to make this pellet is coming from liuqid molassas, a huge problem in goats is too much molassas, they are not horses or hogs (single stomached animals).

This also does not contain any cocci meds or ammonium chloride for your bucks urinary health. So in essence you would be better off fedding them oats for carbs and energy, any oil or BOSS for fat, and alfalfa in any form for protein...and I bet it would be alot cheaper.

Did you also know that most of these pellets are so low grained that you have to feed 1 pound per 50 pounds of body weight..compare that with the feeding of 1 pound of oats/Boss/Alfalfa pellet per 100 pounds of body weight, and not in milk/nursing or heavy bred, it would just be Alfalfa pellets and minerals...a huge savings.

Do not be lulled into thinking that they are a 'good' mill becausethey do not use animal by products, it's against the law now for them to use ruminant meat and bone meal in ruminants feed, they were FORCED to do this , not out of the kindness of their heart.

I do feed a meat goat pellet for convience to bucks and infant kids for the AC in it and cocci control, but I would never feed a textured sweet feed to my goats. Vicki

4. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks Vicki! I was thinking that this is the lastest in the marketing trend in our country----even in people products. Everyone is using "natural" "farm" "homemade" "country" all of these words that mean nothing--double the price and all you get is an earth toned color package instead of the slick white/bright package it used to come in!! Okay--rant over;) One more thing--I just LOVE(sarcastic) that the aplles/peaches etc at teh grocerystore are now "homegrown" as opposed to what??--outer space grown? wild grown? neighbors farm grown? URG.
    Christina

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

:)

Worse is the word Lite :) They can mean lower fat, or LIGHTER IN COLOR :) Craziness! Vicki

6. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

You know I can't even find a goat feed that will tell me the ingredents. I have resorted to buying horse feed that gives me the ingredents exacet like oats, wheat, alfalfa and so on. I found out you can feed goats horse feed on the fiasco farms website. I just made sure it had all the minerals goats need at the levels they need. I pay more but they are worth it to me as I wouldnt eat something that listed the ingredents in such nonscence terms and plant protein and grain silage.

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Here are some brands who will tell you the indgrediants.
    ACCO Showmaster, Boer Goat Express
    Fast Forward from Moormans
    Sure Fed
    Honor
    Even if they mill it themselves, they are required to put the indgrediants on a tag and attach it to the bag. That too is a law I believe. I have never bought a bag of feed that doesn't have it. I have picked up feed from my feed store who has ran out of tags and they asked me if it would be alright if they didn't have them.

8. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

All of them have tags that I find but I want the tag to say (oats, wheat, alfalfa) and such not (grain products, forage products, plant protein).

Also the brands you named I havent found any of those around here. I now buy horse feed that say exactually what is in it.

9. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

the Fast Forward by moormans will say it. It is not a least cost ration like the others. It is the same bag after bag after bag.

10. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

the Fast Forward by moormans will say it. It is not a least cost ration like the others. It is the same bag after bag after bag.

That would be great if it were sold around here. I can get dumor, purina and local co-op brands. Not much selections. I have searched and I would have to travel an hour to find other brands so for now I will stick to horse feed that tells me just what is in it. My other option is to make my own with grains.