New Poultry Feed

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Back2Basix, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

Hoping there are some "feed" experts out there. I recently decided to try switching feeds to a blend by our local feed/grain mill because 1) Supports local community & 2) it was $9 for 50lb bag as apposed to the $13-$18 I usually pay for something is a nice shiny colorful bag with pictures on it. I don't have the ability to scan or attach an image of the tag ATM but i'll write the important stuff below. This will be fed to both my laying hens and duck flock (2 weeks to 1.5yrs old). The ducks/ducklings are free range, so don't freak too much regarding calcium/oyster shell content because this is fed as mainly a supplement to their bug/wild green diet. For 39 ducks, they probably get 3 cups of this a day MAX because I force them to forage the flies & mosquitoes.

Main ingredients appear to be Grain, Plant Protein, Flax Seed, Alfalfa Meal, & Animal-Vegetable Fats followed by 11 lines of minerals/vitamins. The breakdown is as follows:

Crude Protein 17%(min)
    Lysine 1%(min)
    Methionine .44%(min)
    Crude Fat 5.52%(min)
    Crude Fiber 4.35%(max)
    Calcium 3.6%(min) - 4.6%(max)
    Phosphorus .65%(min)
    Salt .36%-.56%

I haven't opened the bag yet but I'm going to assume all the grain products are crush or whole. Cant imagine the mill would go through the expense of "processing" the feeds.

Worse case scenario they don't like it, I only bought 150lb

2. Lazy J

Lazy J Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm betting this is a simple mix of grains, protein product, mineral, ans vitamins with no specialty ingredients to help with gut health of added productivity. If your only concern is what you stated then buy it, especially since you are not concerned about the productivity of your flock.

3. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

My hubby was feeding layer crumbles to the big ducks. That was okay.
    But he fed layer to the young pet duck.
    WRONG thing to do.
    The bird got foot problems. Could barely crawl. I told him I had to do
    some reading because I thought I knew the problem. It was the calcium
    in the layer crumbles. I put the duck on a starter grower grain mixed
    half and half, with cracked corn. So this teenage size duck now, 2 younger ducks,
    and the little bantam pullet who keeps track of all of them are one happy group.
    I was given another little duck who joined them today. All these 4 ducks are khakis.
    So the pet , CONFUSED, is now on the mend. His one foot was so curled up
    I did not think he was going to make it. Now the foot is looking normal and
    he is walking on it. Very carefully but walking. So he is on the mend and the
    only change was his crumbles.
    So NO layer grain for baby ducks. NONE is the rule here now.

The rest of the story............
    Confused was the only egg hatched by his mother. I took him away
    from her, as I did not want bedlam in the chicken coop with a Muscovy
    hen and one baby. The 2 other baby ducks, I hatched in the incubator.
    They stayed with baby chicks for a few days, till I had to move them in with
    Confused and his little chicken friend. I had to give him a friend for company.
    The new duckling today had a goose for a mom. She stole him from the duck.
    And my friend was downsizing, so I got her last female khaki adult and the
    baby today. Everybody merged okay :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Since they're free ranging, it should be fine to feed to them.

5. BlueRidgeFarms

BlueRidgeFarms Well-Known Member

It sounds like a standard layer ration, the flax seed and the alfalfa are good products that will boost Omega 3's in the eggs compared to a straight corn/soy meal ration. (how much depends on how much flax and alfalfa are actually in there) Mostly likely a ground product, not pellets, but should work fine in feeders. The birds will get more gut health from outside grass and bugs than they would from any product in a bag.
    If you do any hatching, your hatch rate will give a good clue to the quality of the ration.

6. Back2Basix

Yes it's all ground and is very different looking than what I'm used to. Cracked corn but bunch of flax seeds and ground alfalfa. Ducks scarfed it down and the chickens will get it starting tomorrow

7. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

Thing I wonder about with mill cracked and mixed grain feeds is that they often use a recipe but doubt they test protein/nutrient content of locally acquired grains. They're adding a premix to the cracked grains (with molasses as a 'glue') for the vitamins/minerals/amino acids but it often ends up on the bottom of the bag. Grain mix varies depending on what's available. It's often 'fresher' but I assume that the bagged feeds have closer quality/nutrition level control.......Just some thoughts on local mill vs processed/packaged feeds.

8. Back2Basix

9. BlueRidgeFarms

BlueRidgeFarms Well-Known Member

That is a coarse grind. Make sure they're getting enough grit to finish grinding it themselves. I'd be concerned that they might end up sorting out the bits they like and not eating the complete ration.

10. Back2Basix

I don't leave food down for them 24/7. They get their ration and it's usually gone by evening or next morning.

Correct on the grit though, I'm going to have to remember to continually add a shovel of dirt/gravel

11. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

For the price----I would regrind it---so it would work out good for me, some do not like the bigger corn. Drop me a few bags off when you come by---LOL.

12. Back2Basix

Hey, for $0.18/lb it seemed like a good deal

13. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

IT is, that's why I said drop me off some---LOL.