new potatos as seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MELOC, Aug 2, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i pulled some potatos today as i did not furrow but tried to mulch and they were exposed to the sun and turned green. many of the spuds in that row are either green, tinged with red or are shaped really strange. as if several of them tried to grow together.

i nee dto dispose of many of these but would like to try to plant a fall crop. i know i will not get big spuds if i plant now, but i have the space and i cannot find seed potatos for a fall crop. will i have any luck planting the tiny spuds or the green or goofy ones? also, if i see a plant that has new growth, can i prune it and try to get it to grow?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Those odd potatoes are still genetic clones of the parent plant and will produce normal tubers. In that aspect, they are no different than any large or normal tuber. In fact, they are so identical that they will require the same period of dormancy. If you place them back in the ground now, you are only placing them in storage. In other words, they ain't going to grow this fall. If they don't freeze, they'll come up next spring and not before.

Martin

3. MELOC

yeah thanks...that is kinda what i wanted to know.

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Has the weather been hot and dry?

5. MELOC

not unusal. they were planted shallow and only mulched lightly. i had intended to get more mulch or i would have just hoed them. i did neither. we had a few hot spells here but not really dry spells. i live in the area in the east that had major flooding due to the tropical storm. my county had more damaged homes than anywhere in the state according to the insurance reports.

it was a learning experience. i had not grown potatos since i was a kid. my brother, ruth stout(lol) and folks on this board encouraged me to try mulch. i just under estimated the amount needed and the fact that it breaks down fast. next time i will get it right.

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I've planted potatoes from the store before and it worked out. When I couldn't find seed potatoes one time I went to the health food store and just bought a couple of kinds that I liked (organic) let them sprout and they did fine!

Good luck!

hollym