new potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by swollen tongue, Aug 14, 2006.

1. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

dug a 60 foot row today and got 105 lbs. of potatoes, pontiac reds, some really nice ones too. I think this is a pretty good harvest. they were planted may 20. I started digging now since I have 7 more rows to dig eventually. anybody else harvesting their potatoes? what kind of production??

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

for us production is way down this year. we just havent had the rains that we need.I dug 100 ft of row this morning and only got two 5gal. buckets of yukon golds. 15 more rows to go for us

3. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I planted a 30 or 32' bed (4' wide) with Pontiac Red, Yukon Gold, and Kennebecs (equal amounts).

Dug the Yukon Gold a while back and don't know how many pounds it was but it was "a bunch" eaten fresh plus seven quarts diced and canned.

Dug the Kennebecs recently and got a lot more of them - about 24 or 25 lbs.

Haven't dug the Pontiac Red yet. I piled the straw up on them pretty deep so hoping they'll produce more yet.

It's my first year growing potatoes and if I get about 75 lbs from a 4'x30' bed I'll be happy (heck, I got *a* potato - I'm happy!).

Bob, we've had TONS of rain here. For a while I thought my taters might rot in the ground but we lucked out.

4. swollen tongue

turtlehead, sounds like a decent harvest. Tell me exactly how you "can" your potatoes. I need some ways to keep these in storage besides in sacks, etc.
    thanks!

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

40 hills of Red Norland have been more than supplying the basic potato needs for the wife and I since the end of June. I've had better years for them but all of the home spuds were on their own from the minute they were covered on 30 March. 15 hills of Carola again reminded me that I should plant twice as many! 10 hills of Kennebec produced a number of tubers as big as my fist and I have fairly large hands! Those 65 hills total would keep some couples eating spuds well into next year.

BUT, I've still got 22 more hills of Red Norland, 29 of Kennebec, and about 30 of German Fingerling in one of my community plots! All of those plants got a special planting hole mix at the bottom of the trenches plus extra water when needed. The plants were absolute monsters. Should be some monsters underground when I go for the treasure hunt!

Martin

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Martin, I would love to just tag along with you for one day of gardening! All the stuff you do is SO cool!

When I grow up, I wanna be like you!! (Or perhaps I should say, "When my garden grows up, I want it to be like yours!")

Pony!

7. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Swollen Tongue (what a name!),

I canned them according to the Ball Blue book instructions:

Wash, drain, peel (I didn't peel mine - the skins were still quite thin). Leave small potatoes whole; cut large potatoes into quarters (I cut mine into 1" chunks this time). Cover potatoes with water in a large sauce pot. Boil 10 minutes. Drain. Pack hot potatoes into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint jar, 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, if desired. Ladle boiling water over potatoes, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 35 minutes, quarts 40 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

Stocking Up III (Rodale) says this:

HOT PACK: Wash, peel, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Dip cubes in brine (1 seaspoon salt to 1 quart water) to prevent darkening. Drain. Cook for 2 minutes in boiling water. Pack hot and cover with boiling water to within 1 inch of top. Process pints 35 minutes, quarts 40 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

HOT PACK (whole): Use potatoes 1 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Wash, peel, and cook in boiling water for 10 minutes. Pack hot and cover with hot cooking liquid or boiling water to within 1 inch of top. Process pints 35 minutes, quarts 40 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

Neither of these books gives raw pack instructions so I wouldn't try it with potatoes. I'm guessing it has to do with the starch but I'm not sure.

8. swollen tongue

thank you for the info!!