new piglets!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by j3nnif3r, Mar 30, 2005.

1. j3nnif3r

j3nnif3r Chief Cook & BottleWasher

My neighbor and I both have pregnant sows, hers more so than mine, so I told her when the time comes to let me know since I was gonna have to get used to it. I got the call at noon today. When I got there she had already had 3, but I got to watch and help with the last 6 (9 total). It went much easier than I thought it would, momma and babies are doing great, and now I can't wait to show off my own piglets! Oh well, a few more weeks.
    [​IMG]
    This is my neighbors daughter trying to keep them all contained while we made sure momma was done.

2. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

What breed are they? I love the red and white ones!

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Nice litter! The size of the pigs indicate the sow was well cared for. There must be some hybrid benefits there also....seems I see traces of Yorkshire, Spot, Hampshire, and Duroc in the offspring.

4. j3nnif3r

Thanks, they are adorable aren't they? Daddy was a Hampshire and we originally thought momma was a duroc. However, her brother (our boar) looks almost exactly like a tamworth. So I'll let you decide. Here's mom.
    [​IMG]

5. agmantoo

Just a well meaning comment. The space for the sow is a bit cramped and she is liable to lay on a pig. Mention to the owner to install a 2 x 4 or larger board diagonally across the pen and to place bedding in that area to get the pigs safely away from the sow. The area the board should be placed in relation to the pic of the sow is from her tail to the top of her head. A heat lamp in the corner behind her back would attract the pigs into the safe area when they are not eating.

6. j3nnif3r

Yup, we already told 'em. The daughters boyfriend was building as we were catching piglets.

7. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Nuthin' fer nuthin' - they are tooooo cute!

Posted by agmantoo - Yesterday at 08:07 PM
    Just a well meaning comment. The space for the sow is a bit cramped and she is liable to lay on a pig.

agmantoo....how big should the sow's area be? We're building a perm fence for our preg sow and were curious. Can't find much online about the area and space needed..... Your help would be excellent!

Thanks all for sharing your info and learning! :)

8. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

How close to the pen would you keep the heat lamp (any concern of fire)? How long should it stay on? (hours/day and for how many days?)
    Thanks - Greg

9. agmantoo

For optimum pig raising I prefer plywood A frame individual houses built on skids. Each side wall would be 8 feet long and 6 feet tall and around 7 feet wide at the narrow ends. Only one end is open and it would have a 2 x 12 bolted across at the open end at the ground to where the sow would have to step over. This board prevents new pigs from getting "lost" and the board can be removed once the pigs are large enough to jump over it. With the skids on the A frame, the building can be moved to virgin soil at each farrowing minimizing some diseases being carried over. The A frame can be oriented to face the southeast and get some morning heat from the sun along with the sun's sterilizing benefits. The A frame design "trains" the sows to use the center section to avoid hitting her back. The pigs can utilize the area at each side of the A as their space. Good dry straw bedding will encourage the pigs to use that area and if power is available an infra red heat lamp placed to focus in the pigs bedding area will assist to train them. In cold weather the heat is an obvious benefit but in mild weather the use of the heat lamp for a few days is beneficial to get the pigs away from the mom and thus avoid a crushed pig. Old sows and sows that are too heavy are more prone to flop down on their offspring.

10. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Luvrulz,
    Here is a link to the AWI. Which will give you all the information you need to provide the minimium space requirments to raise hogs happy. this is a good site for info.
    http://www.awionline.org/farm/standards/pigs.htm
    Hope this helps.
    Rick

11. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

The link isn't working. :bash: Any suggestions? I'm trying to read up. We're pretty convinced our sow is bred. Both she and we....have not farrowed before! :eek:

Thanks! :D

12. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

13. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Those are the cutest pigs. Baby animals are so precious and adorable!