Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got two piglets last night. Little Hampshires, I think. They were a gift and so we don't know a whole lot about them.

They are going to be getting LOTS of whey plus kitchen scraps and we're going to pasture them, as well. We'll probably have to do some feed, too, right? ... we are not necessarily trying to put on weight fast, so I'm not sure how much feed they will need to just grow at a regular, healthy pace.

One has a swollen (fluid filled) ear :( - when I did a thread search it said it was probably some kind of bite should be left alone and it will heal. ...Does that sound right? That I wouldn't have to lance it and clean it out?

I'm sure I'll come back with a zillion more questions. I'm so excited about our newest farm residents.

Oh-- we have a big pecan tree that is fruiting now. Can they eat pecans? Or would the shell be too hard to get through?

Sorry to be a pig-spaz....we've had them less than 12 hours. I'll calm down soon. :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Photos and a new issue.

Here is the piggie with the ear issue:

She also has a navel issue, below. Should we iodine it like we do with our goats?

Here is the other piglet - she seems tootally fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You are right, you've got some Hampshires!

I can't tell from the picture but it sounds like you are describing a ruptured blood vessel in the ear. You won't gain anything by trying to drain it. It will always look a bit swollen and wrinkled but it doesn't seem to bother them.

My opinion would be to give them food in addition to scraps and grass.

I had some pigs last fall that loved to bust out of their pen and go eat pecans. It took a lot of milk to coax them back.

I can't help with the navel issue. Iodine seems reasonable if it looks like it could become infected.

I like that last pic-very cute.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply! I'm still really nervous - they're just so little. :) They are 6 weeks old, newly weaned but are little eating machines. They LOVE canteloupe and seem pretty pleased with the goat milk, too. :)

We've got them in a stall in the barn right now, but will be making a portable "Happy Piggy Funland" this weekend with electric netting and a doghouse or two. ...and a big puddle, of course. :)

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
What cute Hamps! I have two myself but they are around 100 lbs and gaining steadily. They are just in 'hog heaven' around here though.

Good luck with them!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm-- I was hoping they would "ugly-up" as they grew - so I wouldn't get too attached. Yours are still stinkin' cute at 100 pounds.

I don't know if anyone here will get it or think it's funny, but we named ours "The Notorious P.I.G. and Tu-pork Shakur." We still have a "city" sense of humor. :p

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
LOVE the names, really so cute....We named one of our male PBP, Mooch. and boy is he one tee hee hee good Luck with your piggies. I have to agree they are really cute, that's why mine are pets. I guess I'll always make the meat market happy, cause I know I can't bring myself to consume ours. I think it is great when you can raise all your own food. wish I could get past it.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
BlueHeronFarm said:
Hm-- I was hoping they would "ugly-up" as they grew - so I wouldn't get too attached. Yours are still stinkin' cute at 100 pounds.

I don't know if anyone here will get it or think it's funny, but we named ours "The Notorious P.I.G. and Tu-pork Shakur." We still have a "city" sense of humor. :p
NO WAY! One of our potbellies is names "Piggy Smalls" aka "The Notorious P.I.G.". DH wanted to name our next sow "Little Kim".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.