New Pig farmer Here Lots Of questions:

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by hermitfarmer, Jun 22, 2004.

1. hermitfarmer

hermitfarmer Active Member

Hey to all new to the group, Here goes nothing, I need to know what you guys think of hogs on the ground versus Hog on a rasied platform? I also need to know any suggestion on space for three feeder pigs I am getting in about six to eight weeks? I have the book by Dirk Van Loon "Small Scale Pig Farming" and a whole mess of others but I need the advice of veterans. I am planning on rasing these far from the house under some harwoods that I have a water spicket near for the shade and drainage. I plan on having a few strips of sodd that fell of a truck delivering them to a golf course That I scavanged off the highway last week. I want to build the hog pen out of saw timber (slabbs) and some Power poles that are too short for my pole barn I am putting up as the corners and metal roofing left over from my chicken pens. Any other ways you would have done it or am I leaving anything out? Sorry it was so long. Adios from SC.

2. I've seen plans for having concrete floors but they were for a finisher pig. You only keep the finisher pig on it for the last few days/weeks before processing. You will have a cleaner pig for processing. But around here farmers do all kinds of things and ways for raising there pork so I guess you can't go to wrong with your set up.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Your bits of sod will be a tasty treat :). Not sure why your are considering a raised floor when you have such a fine shaded area. A growing pig might have problems on a floor that is not absolutely sturdy. One of my first piglets got her little foot stuck in a wire floor and separated the nail. With treatment she was fine but it was unneeded stress and she lagged behind the others in growth.

4. pigs that cant root tend to go crazy, or be not as healthy

5. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

We grow our pigs in the dirt. They are quite happy and content doing what pigs do - rooting for worms and grubs. I wouldn't keep them any other way. We skin them for processing so we don't mind a bit of dirt. Besides, a happy pig is a tasty pig !

6. hermitfarmer

Hey I am dirt man myself after eating a lot of it. I tend to agree with you guys on the ground system I just read a little too much sometimes. I thank all of you for replying. I am going to start on it next week I will post picture when finished. Adios...........

7. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Another vote for dirt here. I also put this years pigs on electric, used a solar charger and poly wire on step in posts-works a treat so far!! Always had them in a fixed hog panel fenced area, but this way I can move em around if I want.

Carol K

8. hermitfarmer

Hey, A quick question what kind of step on post we talking about the height I mean and how many spaces did they have? I got the solar and charger but not sure how high off the ground do you come off the ground. Thanks for all the "Dirty" votes.

9. Carol K

Hi Hermitfarmer,
    I used what I had here for cows, they are yellow fibreglass that have about 3 moveable wire holders on them. I also have some black plastic ones that have fixed areas where the wire goes, they are good cos there are about 10 different places to put the wire.
    My pigs were tiny when I got them, about 30#, so I put one wire at about 4" from the ground and the other one at about 12 inches. This weekend I'm moving them all up about 6", the pigs are now about 50#, but I still only have 2 wires. Hope this helps.

Carol K

10. Carol K

Hermitfarmer, the link will show you what I use, scroll down and see the pic of the white posts, the first 2 are similar to what I use, very convenient, have a spike on the bottom and they go in easy, just move em where you want em!! And they will take the polywire or the polytape. Hope this helps.

http://gallagherusa.com/postsportable.htm

Carol K

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Dirt. Also, let them out to graze awhile, if you have a place were you can. They will come a-a-running when they hear you calling with the feeding bucket. It doesn't take much training at all and they can get alot of their nutrition from rooting around the farm. It just depends on where you live, are your gardens fences, how far away your neighbors and roads are. i'm remote, so I can let pigs run, if I keep an eye out and keep them out of trouble. An hour a day, even, brings them great pleasure. And pigs don't get lost, they know where they live.

12. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I vote for both. We keep ours on dirt until we get a finisher or a sow that is ready to farrow and then they go into stalls in the barn. After the sow farrows and the piglets are weaned and big enough to fend for themselves they all go on to dirt.

13. a quick and relatively cheap shelter is put t-posts deeeeeep in the graound and set pallets upright with the posts in the interior parts as far aprat as necessary. use that to build your walls and then tie them together at the tops with 2x4's and then sheet metal or fiberglass panels for the roof. In the winter they will need more wind proof shelter. use wire to tie on some plywood

14. hermitfarmer

Here is what I am planning to do. I am going to enclose the piglets after they are weaned off the sow. I am looking forward to watching thwm grow and get bigger and heavier. I am going to enclose an area that I am going to experiment on using them to clean out an area that I want to see how they can root up. I am also going to use feedlot panels to enclose the area after they get a little size on them. The area is under a good shade tree for this summer and I have a good supply of water now I have to get to putting up some old power poles and t-post. Thanks again.