New person, same questions...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Maple Tree Farm, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Maple Tree Farm

Maple Tree Farm Active Member

In October the fiance and I moved out to the country. We have a little over five acres and are already raising pigs and chickens. The question is with approxiamately 3 acres to fence off for cattle, what are the best breeds for such a small area. We are located in Central New york, average over 100 inches of snow per year and temps ranging from below zero to 90 degrees. The area right now that would be fenced off is mostly thorn apple trees and weeds. There are 2 creeks and a small pond (I've seen bigger mud puddles) on this area. The thought would be to only butcher one cow per year but to hopefully keep one heifer around to breed. I have read about the Highland and the Dexters but find that around my area that they are pretty hard to come by. Most cattle are dairy in this area. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Unless you plan on feeding a lot of brought in hay I regret to inform you that the plan for the cattle will not work. Too many cattle for to little acreage is my take on the situation as I understand it. Good luck regards.

3. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

I know there are several belted galloway breeders in the New England area....that might be a possibility. They will "weather" the winter and are becoming a noted grass fed beef......but also do well to be finished off on grain.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Get 2 GOATS, clear land, then next year get a bred Galloway heifer.

5. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

If you just would like a milk cow that would have a calf every year then a Dexter would work, maybe even two, but you may have to supplement with hay.
    E mail me and let me know what area you are close to, and I'll give you some names to try locally for Dexters, I'm in Western NY, so howdy neighbor!

Carol K