new pbp, maybe sick? please help

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bbbuddy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

We just picked up a free pot belly pig mama, has had 2 litters, last litter was not planned, her own son from 1st litter did the deed. My DH brought home 2! piglets along with her, 1F, 1M, they are 10 weeks old and weaned.

The mama is at LEAST 1/3 the size of our other two pbps and I can see her backbone (is a ridge down her back) and her hip bones are sticking out.

One of her teats has a round ball-like lump under it, so the teat looks like it is perched on a small apple sized ballon, could this be mastitis?

She really doesn't look all that good to me.
    I want to worm her and the piglets right away, and do you think I should treat her for mastitis just in case it is? What would I use?

All help will be greatly appreciated! :)

maddy

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Maddy,
    No she isn't sick, just starved. Take the piglets away from her if she still has them, get her wormed and start feeding her up. You'll see the difference within a week.

As for the swelling on her teat, it could be an abcess, it could be mastitis, it could be anything. I would be inclined to give her a course of Pen. and if there is no obvious improvement within a few days, have a talk to your vet - or perhaps have a talk to them first so that you can obtain the correct AB.
    Also try fomenting it with warm cloths if she will let you.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. bbbuddy

Thanks Ronney.
    Someone on this forum warned not to worm pbp's with ivermectin, but other places on the net say it's ok to use, anyone know for sure? It's all I have on hand for wormer. I have horse paste, and cattle injectable (that I use orally on the dogs)

Also I have on hand:
    injectables:
    Tylan 50
    LA200
    oral:
    Sulfadimethoxine
    Amoxicillin
    Cephalexin

Anyone know which would be best to treat mastitis? If any? I have never had to deal with mastitis before.
    I probably would do the hot packs first, only use meds if she still looks bad in a week or so.

We are pretty much flooded in right now due to the monsoons, I could get pulled out by tractor if I really need to get a different wormer or meds, or get DH to bring something home when he comes back...

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

are you sure it's mastitis? It could just be a full teat. She sounds like she's malnourished and nursing. Theres a lot of calories getting sucked away in the milk

5. bbbuddy

Thanks George, that may well be what it is, I saw the litle male sucking at her today. They are all too skittish to get my hands on, so I can't tell if it is hard or not.

On another note, my pb gilt we got last year just farrowed 7 piglets, I guess that makes her a sow now? 1 was stillborn.
    The remaining 6 have crawled all over her belly looking for a nipple, but the only one I saw latch on sucked and sucked but didnt seem to get anything. Her nipples are almost an inch long, she was dragging them in the dirt, and has shown a "milk line" down each side front to back for weeks now. However, the nipples look bone dry, no leaking of milk. Could it be she will let down milk a little late her first time?
    It has been 5 hours since the first was born, 3.5 since the last.

She decided to have them outside against a fence line, fortunately there was some loose straw there, but it is pretty chilly here tonight, I'm guessing around mid 50s tops, so I covered her and the piglets in a loose straw "blanket".

6. bbbuddy

Update to my last post, it is now 11 hours since the first piglets were born.
    Mom seems to worry about them when they squeel if we move them (just to keep her from squishing them, and we moved them into a dog crate for a few minutes to clean up her "nest" where she gave birth and give her new straw, this morning)

She only seems to want them around her head and neck. I'm pretty sure none have suckled. Of course this "stuff" always happens on Sundays when everything is closed down. She wasn't due until Wednesday.

When I went out this am she was up and eating her dinner that she ignored last night.

Any suggestions as to what we should do now?

Thanks much!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'm sorry i don't have answer. i just wanted to comment that i do worm my pigs with ivermectin, twice a year, per my vets advice. never had a problem.

8. marvella

We just picked up a free pot belly pig mama, has had 2 litters, last litter was not planned, her own son from 1st litter did the deed. My DH brought home 2! piglets along with her, 1F, 1M, they are 10 weeks old and weaned

oops, i forgot to mention that chances are very good that she and the other female are already bred again by the little male. they are capable of reproducing at 6 weeks. the son breeding back the mother is very common in pbps.

overall, it sounds to me like the place they came from didn't manage their pigs very well, to let her get that run down. she has probably been pregnant about her whole life. like the little female, they can conceive at 8 to 10 weeks.

if she were here, i would separate the females from the male, for at least one cycle, give them all a round of AB just because, a good worming with ivermectin at 1cc/ 100#, repeated in 7 days, and feed a good quality hog finisher.

and sorry, i still can't answer your last question but someone who can should be along directly. :)

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

yeah bbuddy it can take a couple days for the milk to let down, particularly for young first time mothers. In nature it is not unusual for the mother to lose the first litter because of this. She and the piglets get frustrated and then the piglets starve, or more likely stop trying to nurse which reduces milk production due to lack of nipple stimulation. The full teat on the other sow is likely because the piglets have a favorite nipple and each teat has it's own blood supply and nerve innervation, so likely the other teats are dry. Keep trying to put the piglets on the nipple.

Marvella I agree if the sow is starving something is wrong, (seeing ribs is ok in a nursing sow, but not the spine) but in nature the natural thing is for the sows to be perpetually pregnant. A fat sow is a sign of a poor mother (in nature). You CAN let them breed naturally, but if you are going to take that philosophy then it has to be all the way. If you bottle feed the little ones to supplement for a week or two and then expect mom to make up the difference she will get like that real fast unless you are stuffing her with high fat high protein feed (like an extra pbj sandwich heavy on the peanut butter a day just for her. I had one particularly good sow who we did give an extra treat to, but I never bottle fed any piglets that were intended to remain in the pasture). If you want to follow nature, the thing to do is let her do it which means she will not be raising 11 piglets to adulthood in a single litter. Rather she will be doing well to raise 3-5 and you need to let her eat the ones who die and not "clean up" all that protein that she would otherwise recycle. Granted my wild philosophy is unpopular with some, but when we intervene and save the weak piglets instead of letting nature dictate which are strong enough to survive, then in the long run the genetics of the swineherd suffers. Not only do you save the weak, but you stress the strong. I'm not acussing you of anything marvella, it's just the quote about perpetual pregnancy being suggested as unnatural got me on a rant.

10. marvella

that was a rant?? :cool: just kiddin' george. :)

your way makes total sense. i agree 100% about survival of the fittest being natures way. that's how i "manage" my chickens.

however, this pig, for whatever reason, is failing to thrive and starved. if he wants her back on her feet and breeding, she needs a rest from breeding and some one on one attention for a while.

the alternative is to put her down as bad stock.

i was thinking about this thread this morning and i think i am confused. there is this pig his wife brought home, then the pig that doesn't have milk on another thread. are we talking about the same pig here, or two different pigs?

11. bbbuddy

Hi Marvella :)
    I'm the wife.
    We already had 2 pbp's, one was due to farrow this Wednesday.

My husband brought home the 3 pbp's, because the moma was free, and they gave him the 2 piglets for $25, a male and a female. We split our 16' x 32' pig pen in 2 with new cattle panels, and the new sow went in the back section, the new piglets went next door (in with the 2 goats, because that is fenced with 2x4 field fence they can't get out of), and our original very pregnant gilt stayed where she was.
    I'm not surprised you got confused :)

I'm thinking the new pigs moving in might have upset Bacon (preggers gilt) enough that she had her babies 5 days early....

The new sow is gaining weight rapidly, I think they just didn't feed enough.

12. marvella

that's a lotta pigs! lol!! :)

i think i've got it now. the one i was posting about was the skinny one. i wasn't sure if the skinny one gave birth and didn't have milk. :shrug:

sounds like y'all are getting it sorted out. :hobbyhors