New Paypal spoof message

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshadowfarms, Oct 27, 2005.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Got an e-mail saying that I had paid for a luxury watch for $190 through Paypal. They provided me link that was obviously not Paypal that I could go to and change it if there was any problem. I knew that it was spoof but it still kind of makes your heart jump. I forwarded it to Paypal but just wanted to alert anyone that might run across such an e-mail. I have gotten many spoof e-mails but this was the first that has taken that kind of approach. Clever. Wish the little !@%$&*s would apply themselves to something constructive.

2. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Becareful with any message you get from AOL also. I don't use AOL, but my brother does. He got a messages stating that there was a problem with his account. The notice looked official enough. It even had a link that went to another official looking AOL site. Somebody did a good job. Anyway, he got suspicious because the AOL symbol didn't look quite right. He called AOL on the phone and found out that it's a bogus note trying to get your login/payment information. He forwarded the message to AOL for them to follow up on. He checked the background of the sender and the message came from someone in Germany. Can't be too careful. I've gotten messages from Bank of america and Paypal saying there was a problem with my accounts, but since I don't use either, I knew they were garbage.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If they send out 10,000 of these phishing e-mails and get only one response it is a good day for them.

Yep, got one today confirming I had changed my eBay e-mail addy. Of course, if it was in error I should click on a link to correct it.

Almost all of these come from outside the U.S. - although it can be someone in the U.S. using an overseas server.

4. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

PayPal has been emailing me and telling me to give them my checking acct info for a while now. I am thinking that they were asking for my acct # and routing #. Is this true? There have been no messages in "My EBay" box. :shrug:

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Go to your Paypal account NOT through the link provided in the e-mail but via the regular paypal website and see what is up.

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I got one from Paypal about a week ago, wanting to verify my account info. Was reading through it, needed my SS#. BIG red flag. Nope. But it was weird and almost believable since I put in a false password at first, and it didn't let me in. Submitted the correct one, and I was in. :shrug:

7. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I am getting them from someone that keeps telling me my Bank of America account is frozen. Knowing better than that, I keep sending them to BofA to investigate. I is scary to think of all the stuff they come up with to scam you out of your money. Because of the vastness of the internet, it is a scammers paradise. I saw somewhere the other day that e-mails could be made to have a thingie like caller ID on them. Might be a good idea.

8. Ken Scharabok

I can only speak for AOL. All of their e-mails have a routing line (Details) on them. Clinking on it shows the routing history of the e-mail. On the one above the routing host had .no at the end, indicating it was in Norway. This is what it told me:

Return-Path: <apache@www.stave.no>
    Received: from rly-xa03.mx.aol.com (rly-xa03.mail.aol.com [172.20.64.39]) by air-xa02.mail.aol.com (v107.13) with ESMTP id MAILINXA22-614360e1552f3; Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:17:21 -0400
    Received: from www.stave.no (stave.no [213.236.237.189]) by rly-xa03.mx.aol.com (v107.13) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINXA37-614360e1552f3; Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:16:54 -0400
    Received: (from apache@localhost)
    by www.stave.no (8.11.6/8.11.6) id j9REJlR10913
    for scharabo@aol.com; Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:19:47 +0200
    Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:19:47 +0200
    To: scharabo@aol.com
    Subject: eBay Change Email Notice
    Message-ID: <1130422787.13402.qmail@ebay.com>
    Content-Type: text/html
    X-AOL-IP: 213.236.237.189
    X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE: 1:2:338291873:10737418
    X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:

Vague on details, but something on AOL the other day about the feds busting a master spammer. Said he claimed to have something like 150 million e-mail addresses.

I suspect what happens is eBay or PayPal will send a message to the hosting provider advising them someone is using their server to send out fraudulent messages. Through the ISP number, the provider might be able to identify the particular user. Whether or not they would take any action???

I guess eBay or PayPal could threated to block any incoming messages from that provider, which could cut off all of their users, on the theory if they lose customers as the result they will take some action.

9. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

LOL.............I keep getting daily the "your account has been suspended" stick........
    Guess I should be very worried..............

BUT funny thing, I have NEVER been on e bay or paypal

I better go sit in the corner and worry some more................

(My delete button shure gets a work out)

10. Ken Scharabok

Don't delete them before forward (intact) to either spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. It lets them know of new ones started.

I have heard spoofing (phishing) is a very serious concern with them and they are trying to do what they can to stop it. However, as noted, when it originates outside the U.S. there is very little they can do in all practicality.