New one to me????

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Errin OH, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Errin OH

Errin OH Member

Tonight I noticed a lump on the lower jaw of my oldest calf (~30 days). I figured it was something in his mouth. Nope nothing there but my sticky fingers. Seems to be a hard lump, under the gum of the lower jaw bone, bout the size of a golf ball. Don't think it was there this morning, I know it wasn't last night, musta came on fast. Was thinkin he got stuck with a stem (just started takin to hay). So I jumped on line and looked it up. I found a Q&A from a vet/vet service. Now, I with them until treatment (see below). What in the world is "1 1/2 drachms of iodide of potash"??? "Divide the tumor" I assume this is with a knife as in split, not removed. Correct?

He isn't gonna like it but I think I'll go take a closer look......

Lumpy Jaw.

Q - Some of my cows have hard lumps on their jaws, or lumpy jaw. Can that be cured, and how?

A - This is Actinomycosis (lumpy jaw) and is due to ray fungi (actinomyces) which are found originally on plants which enter the body in various ways. The trouble usually appears in the upper or lower jaws of cattle, where it generally produces tumors of bone or soft tissues. For treatment give 1 1/2 drachms of iodide of potash in 1/2 pint of water daily for 14 days. Increase to 2 drachms for 14 more days, and then gradually decrease. Divide the tumor and insert gauze saturated with tincture of iodine for 4 days. In 8 days a visible improvement will be noticed,

2. Errin OH

Errin OH Member

I got in there last night and its not the jaw. The lump is located in the cheek. Jaw feels fine. But there this hard spot in the cheek that doesn't seem to cause any pain, doesn't / hasn't affected his eating. Just looks like he has a golf ball in his mouth. I felt inside and out, it is in the cheek, not cud.

Wonder if I should stick a needle in it to see if its puss filled?

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Abcess most likely.

4. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i had one of those on a 5 year old cow i stuck a needle in it and nothing came out next day it was bigger with a little pus came out so i did like they said i cut in half and it was real pusy all that day it started to ozzi out she acted like nothing happen was eating grass hours later three days later it was gone...now that was my cows.....you decide on your own i also give her la 200 twice three days apart first time when i just stuck in the needle

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

If he's eating ok, I'd treat him with antibiotics (assuming it's an abcess) and leave it alone and see what happens. They can shrink up and go away with just the antibiotics sometimes. I say this because I assume he's still eating ok and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Jena

6. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

If it's an abcess you can discect the mass, or try and find the head on it like a pimple and try and force the puss out and put a hot compress on it for a few days works well. It's on a relatively good area as far as cleanliness and drainage. Antibiotics are beneficial because most abcess that are not caused by puncture are caused by staph. but we try and stay antibiotic free unless a it's extremely critical. I use hot compresses with goldenseal root salve and just keep it clean in about 3 days it should be clearing up.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

That lump might be a calcium deposit, we had the exact same round hard lump on one of ours last year and it popped, he is fine. The lump started to form at about a month, and popped at 2 months or so. You said it's the size of a golf ball? Same thing here. I forget if it was the vet who told us what it was, but it went away.

But if this is a isolated case, and if it gradually formed, it could be a calcium deposit, and will go away. If it isn't, then of course it probably wont go away. The location of it was in his cheek (ours), so maybe it is different.

Just a thought.

Jeff