New/Old LGD

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Batt, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

Should get my first 4 1/2 (older doe due next month) goats this week. Have 4 strand electric fence and 3 1/2 sided shed etc. Thinking about adding an extra strand for a ground wire about 1/2 way up on the electric fence, but that is for another thread.

We seem to have lots of coyotes recently. I can't remember hearing this many at night and I've lived several years in the country. Anyway, I have been increasing worried about the goats, and have three options:
    1. I can get a new puppy, leave the goats with the breeder for a few months, and pay a nominal monthly holding fee.

2. Bring the goats home with no additional protection. The older doe who is due to kid next month has an attitude, horns and has been known to face down dogs and coyotes before.

3. I have an opportunity to get a 2 Y/O Great Pyerenese (SP?) for a VERY reasonable amount. Current owners have new Komodore(sp?) young dogs and the GP has gotten a little rough playing with grandkids. No biting, just rough. GP has been trained to guard goats, and is electric fence trained. Will he adapt to a new situation OK? I hear Komodores have problems readjusting.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would get the Great Pyrenees if you have coyotes as even with horns, that goat will not be able to defens herself or her kids. A trained Great Pyr will stay will goats in almost all cases if brought to a new home....it is their instinct as well as training. Perhaps you could give it a several week trial run.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

get the goats and have someplace safe to put them at night, get the older dog and maybe the pup later, but already have the goats when you do, you might want to put him on a chain at first so he will be able to orientate himself and know where home is. walk him around the perimiter of the pen too so he knows his boundrys

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It may take a taller fence to keep a Pyr inside. They have a tendency to roam