New Ober buck coming in the a.m.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs_stuart, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

My daughter is getting the ober buck that she was wanting...she is trading some of her other dairy goats for the register ober buck. She is very happy about it and is looking forward to not having to milk for a while. But we will not have any fresh goats milk :waa: I am hoping my mom will have some to share.

Belinda

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Congratulations! I am awaiting a buck also...a Reg. LaMancha that is not quite old enough to leave the dairy where I bought him (and I don't have the extra pizazz right now to care for him if the dairy lady is doing it for free). It is always such a pleasure to get the animal you have been waiting for, whether it is one you have saved up for or one you have genetically designed yourself. Oberhaslis are nice goats. Enjoy him. Sometimes (especially when it's hot like this) I wish I wasn't milking twice a day....but it's just two goats right now, and we enjoy the milk so. Do you have any milk in the freezer?

3. Mrs_stuart

Well, We got the buck and he is a bit smaller than we expected. He is the same age as our doe but smaller...I think we treat our goats a bit more "special" than were he was from. He is very cute. My daughter traded her registed alpine doe and her notregister nubian for this registered ober buck. this means that the 2 does that were milking are now gone and we have no more fresh...but yes, I did put quited a bit in the freezer...thank goodness. We are going to spoil him and love him and he will grow...I think...he is a bit over a year old ...do you think he will still grow some more????
    He is very sweet. my daugher stayed outside with him (and her ober doe) all day. she brought her book and chair and the goats layed with her and on her and she read to them. I am so proud of my daughter and the goats are so wonderful.

Belinda

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I think he will grow more. The first registered buck I ever bought was in 1990. He was a 1 1/2 yr. old Nubian and I paid $150. for him. He was already grown up, and of average size. Three years later, he was as big as a house and I do not over-condition my goats, he was pure muscle. He was impressive and someone down the road just had to have him. I am sure he had gained at least a hundred pounds and looked more like a big calf. They offered $350. and I took it.

5. Mrs_stuart

That is a wonderful story...thanks that makes me feel better about him getting bigger. Thanks again.

Belinda

6. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Ooh He will get bigger! I have a registered buck and he is 2 years old and he weighs 160lb. His dad weighs 200 lbs and is very beautiful.