new neighbor put electric fence up on our fence

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by GrammarGoddess, Apr 16, 2005.

1. GrammarGoddess

GrammarGoddess Member

Hi, my name is Amanda and I am new to this forum. My hubby and I purchased 100 acres nearly 2 years ago. At the time, we had the option of purchasing 100 acres, or 120 acres and a house. We chose to purchase the 100 acres as the house did not meet our needs and he really wanted an insane price for it. In our purchase agreement, we were to put up a fence dividing the two properties which met specific criteria. We did this and the fence has been kept in excellent condition. We paid the full price for the fencing and farm labor, the previous owner paid nothing.
    Three months ago, some nut from out of state purchased the house and 20 acres. When my husband went to check the cattle tonight, he found that an electric fence had been ran on our side of the property. DH went to speak to him about it. The man has no cattle (he had 5 when he came, but he sold them soon after). My DH is really ticked that the fence is up and has given the man 7 days to completely remove the fence. What a way to meet the new neighbors.
    Amanda

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Welcome, But we would probably need more info to reply, if that was what you are looking for.

But i do have one question and that is why was your husband ticked at the other neighbor putting up a fence if you aren't even living there yet?

3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

I don't understand. If Karl, or Greenwoods, or Francis, my fence-neighbors, put up an electric fence, I'd be happy. It would help keep their cows, etc out of our hay and nurse crops.

So, why not be happy? Is there a reason?

Good Luck,

Alex

4. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

Hi~

this is what I gathered

1. you own land but dont live there
    2. you put up a fence (per requirements)
    3. you run cattle on your acreage
    4. new neighbor put new fence on your side of the existing fence
    5. new fence is hot wire

your options

1. introduce yourselves to the new neighbor and casually mention the hotwire
    2. go marching up to neighbor demanding the offending fence be removed
    3. take down the fence that is not yours but on your land without saying anything
    4.report traspassing to local officials.

I would start at the top and work my way down (until I find satisfactory results)

Rachel

5. GrammarGoddess

GrammarGoddess Member

Our kids play near this fence. Although we do not live there now, we are on the property often. I think we are irritated because the fence was put up w/o any discussion. We just found it. We have told him that the fence must be removed or that we would have it removed for him. He is welcome to put up an electric fence on his side of the property, using his on fence posts, of course. He is not to use any of our fencing materials in any fashion. There is no need for him to be concerned about fencing anyway as he has no livestock.
    I am less irritated now.
    Amanda

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Whoo boy, fences are supposed to "make" good neighbors, not be a bone of contention. Unless the fence is entirely on your property, the fence is considered a "shared" fence, no matter who put it up. That means that the new neighbor is completely within his rights to put up an electric wire on his side, assuming the fence is on the property line.

Unless you paid for a survey prior to building the fence, I'd be pretty careful about raising a stink about it or your neighbor would likely be within his rights to order a survey, billing you for half the cost, and if any of the fence is determined to be on his property, can make you move it.

An electric fence is not going to cause irreparable harm to your cattle or your children. Electric fences are uniformly respected by just about anything.

Just seems like a silly thing to get in a tiff about. They're obviously worried about your animals getting out and doing damage to their property.

Wendy, Drizler, KrisD and 1 other person like this.
  7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I'd be happy for one of my neighbors to help pay for a fence...of any sort.

Did I read correctly? Can I have a survey done and my neighbor is obligated to pay for half of it? :confused:

KrisD likes this.
  8. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Seems a bit petty to make your neighbor use his own posts for a fence when you already have some there. Fences and water cause a lot of friction between neighbors think about letting him use your posts....it might make for "good fences" between your family and his!

salmonslayer likes this.
  9. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

The electric fence is doing no damage to your fence, and will actually probably protect it from your livestock. Your kids will suffer no permanent harm from touching it -- getting zapped by electric fences is pretty much part of growing up in the country; I've seen the neighbor's boys dare each other to touch it.

If he's actually put another line of fence posts up inside your fence, that's a bit much. But if he's just hung insulators off the fence, what's the big deal? I'd thank him for reducing my fence maintenance down the road ...

Leva

10. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I would be mad too. Have your cattle ever gotten out? If so, then maybe he had a reason, but he should have talked to you about it. An electric fence is not a big deal, unless you don't know it's there and get zapped.

I think your neighbor has boundary issues (pun intended).

Jena

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Anyone who has had cattle and fences for more than a couple of years knows that the cattle lean through to graze on the other side. You should thank your neighbor for putting up the electric fence because your fence will remain vertical now and not have to be rebuilt.

Your kids only have to be as smart as a cow to learn about electric fences. :rolleyes: It should only take once.

12. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Did the neighbor know how to get in touch with you? Perhaps he was worried about your cattle getting on his land, and considering you don't live there, the only thing he could do was put up a line. Since most fences run on property lines, he has as much right to electrify his side as you would yours. If you put your fence entirely on your property, you did the odd thing, and unless you told him this previously, he probably just assumed the fence was on the line.

You mention this is his howdeedoo from you. Perhaps it would have been neighborly to introduce yourself to him before this time, since he's the new kid on the block. An ounce of prevention.

But in the end, look on the bright side. You have an electric fence on a vacant piece of property you run cattle on, and the paid for it and is paying for the electricity. Less for you to worry about. And if you had made friends with your neighbor, you may have had somebody looking out for your interests on a piece of propertry you're not living on.

Just in passing, it sounds like I'd prefer your neighbor to be my neighbor than you.

13. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I think that this is all a matter of perspective. Most folks I know fence inside their property line, not on it, with the intention being to not share fencing with the neighbors. The disputes that arise from shared fencing is amazing. Just wait until a tree drops on it, and see who's going to fix it...and who intends to claim the insurance!

That said, I probably wouldn't have a problem if someone hooked hot wire on the outside of my fence, even with my fence being inside my property line. Of course, that would depend on what livestock they were running, or planned to run, on their side. It would also depend on if they had the basic manners to ASK first.

You just don't hook up to someone's elses property (fence) without asking! All other things being equal, that alone would make me tell 'em NO! If they can't ask, I can assume they won't take responsibility for any other aspect of fence maintenance, either.

My two cents worth...
    Meg

countryfied2011 and michael ark like this.
  14. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

Amanda,
    I just want to know I can sympathize with you and your husband and understand how you feel. I wouldn't want an electric fence on my property line either unless I agreed to it, especially if I had small children. This is something that should be discussed by all parties and agreed to before it happens.

Alot of people who put up electric fences in my area use roundup and other chemicals to control the weeds that grow along the electic fence. We refuse to use roundup and other chemical weedkillers for a variety of reasons. My neighbor who started to put up an electric fence on the property line got ticked at us because he wrongly assumed that we were going to let him dump roundup on our side of the electic fence to keep the weeds from interfering with the eletric fence. He ended up moving his fence back 6 feet or so from the property line so he could put roundup on both side of his eletric fence without chemical trespass on our property.

15. southernbelle32

southernbelle32 Well-Known Member

Leva I agree with you 100% I grew up in the country and have touched a many "hot wire"!!! :haha: You learn fast not to get near them. We used them because our cows would try and push over the fence to get to the greener grass and once it went up they stayed a good distance away!

I would think them since the are paying the cost of the wire and electric bill (unless it's a solar one) and they are keeping your fence in good shape!!!

16. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A LOT! of people get upset if someone messes with their stuff, and the neighbors ought to have asked before they used your fence. It's the frendly thing to do.

That being said, a good neighbor is worth gold.

Having someone living next door is worth gold. Vacant houses draw kids with guns to shoot at windows (and chase your cows or let them out). Good neighbors yell at kids with guns who are chasing your stock.

Making up would be prudent.

Ross likes this.
  17. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

I would expect a neighbor to have the good manners to discuss something like adding a hot wire to a shared fence with me before installing it. But then again, I guess I'm just old-fashioned that way. I would check with a reputable land lawyer and know exactly what the law says in my state. BTW, welcome to the forum. :)

18. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

establishing that you own the fence is a good idea . line fences are a source of contention amongst neighbours all over , the fact that you put it up and he is taking control of it by placing an electric wire there with out your say so is a good sign of things to come!! have a neighbour that thought the fence keeping our cows from eating the newly planted trees was our line fence and not the rail fence 16 feet in on his side . have yet to put in a page wire fence as he now respects the land the other side of the rail fence and does not mow the trees or dump crap there

19. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda;
    We get people moving in from the big cities all the time. They've never had property/acerage before and are so worried someone will take an inch from them. We have had a neighbor who moves the boundary markers for the four properties that merge to an odd shape bordering on his property. In his mind this okay, he's clever. Maybe your neighbor had one similar to mine who made his life as miserable as possible or like MANY people who move in, he is afraid of the countryside and imagines there are wild beasts looming out there waiting to get him and his family. Maybe the family was victimized by a home invasion. You just don't know where he's coming from. You and your husband sound like nice people, sane people. You and your husband should go over and introduce yourselves to your neighbors. Go bearing gifts, homemade bread, a cake or something. Take the woman a few plants for a flower garden or a few vegetable plants and be pleasant, don't mention the fence, let it ride. Over time after you establish (if you can; though it's not always possible, some people just aren't friendly) casually mention the fence. If you go charging over like the light brigade or take the matter to court you will start a neighbor war that will make your dream a nightmare and leave you all bitter and angry.
    Be the bigger people, be better than they are! Overlook a lot, they probably don't know what they are doing anyway.
    tamilee

Kaitlin and KrisD like this.
  20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

This is so simple it isn't funny!! :rolleyes: Cut the electric fence take it down. Your neighbor comes back across your fence :grump: Get him for trespass.

big rockpile