New Momma not active Ideas?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Siryet, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Hi all:
    Our new (1st time) momma ewe is very inactive and is sitting alot.
    She had an easy birth and had one Ram Lamb and was up and around, eating drinking ok. The lamb was big (to Us).

Second day she was ok for the most part but then started to seem slower than normal. Stool is normal but did have some diarrhea. Not any more now. no bleeding no prolapse tc.

Today she is laying down head up, but will get up and eat a little. She has a ton of hay to eat beside the all grain and minerals.

Her bag is not hot, she is still nursing her lamb ok. the lamb is healthy warm mouth etc. The ewe is has a warm mouth.

The weather Just turned cold again yesterday.

Could it be the cold weather?

Thanks for your experience.

Had to correct the fact she is laying down not sitting down.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

She's sitting? Sitting while pregnant isn't unusual, but after birth they should be up and about. I wonder if she either pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve? Does she favor a leg or strain to get up? I might try 8 or 9 regular strength asprins crushed up in a drench with some caffeinated coffee (of course) and water. You might need a stronger anti inflamotory or steroid if that is the problem.

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Thank you Ross but I misled you, I should have said she was laying down not sitting. Sorry.
    Dennis

Now tonight she is up and the lamb is running around happily.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sounds more promising. You can't really go wrong giving her some AD and a drench of coffee to perk her up.

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Hi Ross,
    Update on moma sheep: Today we went out to giver her a Vit B shot and she appears to be all better. Very alert and frisky.

All appears well now

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

6. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I've seen them do this before, and if there's no temp or retained placenta, I think they are just exhausted and resting from giving birth! I'm glad your's is doing better!!!!