New Mom Not Much Milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goat mother, Jun 7, 2005.

1. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

Hi, Our Milk Goat Is Not Having Much Milk. She Can Feed The 2 Kids But No Extra. I Rub Her Udders And Put Bag Balm On Her. Is There Anything Else I Can Do? We Really Don't Have To Have The Milk But It Would Be Nice. This Is My 1st Kidding With A Milk Goat....
    Thanks
    Felcia

2. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

A lot of things contribute to good milk production. Is this her first kidding? If so she will have more milk next kidding. Also, a main thing is feed. How much does she get? When I swiched from commercial to mixing my own they gave more, it tasted better too. For feed they need 1lb for the doe then 1lb for every 3lbs of milk, I think. But good quality forage is equally important, They need free choice grass hay and/or brush. Some feed free choice alfalfa pellets. Some other choices for diversity and nutritional benifit are beet pulp, sea kelp, vegetable scraps and about anything nutritional. Less milk can also be from milking practices, poor breeding, poor health, parasites, size of the goat and other things. I have one doe that milks 5-6lbs a day and another that milks 13-14lbs a day. I just do my best, learn from expirience, and get what I get. I know there are people on here that can answer your question better, but I hope this helps.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

nope you are right. fist freshners usually don't give quite as much. but mine have done well so far. but it is all what you feed them. I feed goat chow, and 3d cutting alfalfha. now you could give alfalfha pellets in their feed.
    and leave the bag balm off. unless she is dry or teats are chapped. that doesn't help anything much.
    you could also milk her three times a day, for a while, and see if she increases her milk.
    make sure she has plenty of water, and you could give her some gator aid, or something like that in her water, as hot as it is.
    I is really hot, she needs lots of water. all she will drink., I sometimes add gator aid, and or kool aid. to their water, or a box of jello, to flavor it. they will sometimes drink more, if it is flavored.