New Milker Homesick and off feed-please help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by glenberryfarm, Apr 8, 2005.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi, I just bought a 5 yr old Nubian 6 days ago. She has beening giving 6Lb/day. The first few days she did really well. I very gradually was switching her feed and there were no problems with milking her. 3 days ago she started with not finishing her grain at milking. Now she is not even munching on hay or touching the grain. Her milk has reduced drastically. I gave her Probios twice and this morning I gave her nutri-drench. She looks so homesick and sad. What should I do?? Is there anything else I should do or will she just come around? I am so afraid she will get sick.
    Thank you
    Faye

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...do you have other goats around?...perhaps ya should give her some baking soda possible upset with belly due to feed changes...maybe just lonly...everytime I get someone who wants to buy a goat I always ask if they have other goats around first if they say no i tell them they should really consider getting atleast2 even if the other is not from me.I hope all goes well and I'm so sadden by the fact she is sick/depressed...hope you are ok also....if you only have 1 goat I would go get another if that isnt an option at this time spend lots of time with her and get a companion animal as fast as ya can...I am getting a new doeling this afternoon but have other goats..she will be penned alone till test have been run and shots given I hope she doesnt do this to me...I would feel horrible and tell hubby we would have to make room for the goat in the laundry room tonight with the ducklings that are already taking it over lol...Dale Anne

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

When my girls do this I feed them Total cereal corn flakes....mixed with a bit of grain and yogurt.

Did you check her temp.?

Is there a reason you switched feed? I try to keep my girls on same stuff....even the babies when sold...I'll offer a bag of grain and a bale of hay at the time of purchase for extra $10 and tell them where I buy the stuff.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to lose the first two purebred Nubian does I bought a few years ago (when we were still in NH). I brought some of their feed home with me, and changed feeds gradually (couldn't get the same brand where we lived as where they came from in Vermont), so it wasn't a feed issue. They were just stressed by being moved. This is one reason I hate to get does that are already milking, because usually the milk production doesn't go back up to what it was before they were moved. And if the doe is what I would call 'fragile' to start with (vulnerable to hypocalcemia, or ketosis, or whatever), the stress of moving could put them over the edge. I did lose an Alpine doe shortly after buying her many years ago; the vet said ketosis but I'm pretty sure it was hypocalcemia, they just didn't know about that back then. Anyway, my Nubians that I thought I was going to lose survived, but neither one of them kidded (they had been bred only a few weeks before I picked them up, and I think they reabsorbed the fetuses), so they didn't milk all that year. And it didn't make any difference that I'd purchased two from the same place.

My preference now is to get younger goats, before they've ever been bred -- they don't seem to be so badly stressed by being moved. My milker Kinder doe was five and in milk when I got her, and was really unhappy about being moved, but the kids weren't bothered a bit about it, as long as they got their bottles!

Kathleen

5. glenberryfarm

Hi, I cannot get the same feed. So I am switching her to Buckeye which is very close to what she was getting. Does it sound like she needs to be wormed?

6. glenberryfarm

Today I caught her nibbling at hay-that's good. Tonite at milking she just ignored the grain and acted like she was chewing something. There was barely enough milk to cover the bottom of the bucket. She is not interested in any treats-apples, carrots. What else can i do? Will I have to end up drying her off?

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

demand milk her
    she might have decided she doesnt like the new grain
    she was probobly just chewing cud, my does do this from time to time, even if its the same feed brand , but a new bag, or if they just ate a bunch and dont want the grain , i still try to demand milk from them , if she had been eating it , and now shes not and youre trying to tempt her from treats... well, this sounds ideal to me , and im not even a goat, i can sit here, have grain in front of me, which normalls i love, and if i just wait a bit shell give me new stuff ...
    i wonder how far she will go ....
    i wonder if i can get her to stand on her head or sing to me ......

honestly , i think if she doesnt seem to be showing other problems, its a change of place, maybe a bit of wheres my herd ... but if she seems healthy, just let her do it, chances are tommorrow shell get on the stand eat her grain and fill the bucket.

keep us posted, ok
    sounds to me like shes being a brat, and i too have moved lots of goats, some hate it , others dont give a hoot ....
    Beth

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I always worm incoming stock. And I give probios, but I give 5 grams several times a day, and keep it up until the tube is gone. Feed change is a biggy, and if she is refusing to eat your grain, there is more to it than what you are thinking. Just because a bag appears to have the same stuff, or it is also a 16% protein, there is obviuosly something to it the doe hates. I know mine who eat an allgrain, real grains, would rather starve than eat ground up whatever, also named goat pellets :)

Does she know where the water is and drinking lots of it? Does who are used to troughs may not know where buckets of water even are, or goats who are used to buckets may not even know how to use licks-it valves.

B vitamin injections will be needed if she does not eat your hay and grain. Her rumen will become sluggish. Also if she gets a subnormal temp with her no milk, you are in milkfever. Might want to search the site for Sue Rieth's article on hypocalcemia. Is she getting any calcium in her diet? Alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets? Was she at her old home? Vicki

9. lilredhen

lilredhen Well-Known Member

I had this happen to one doe, not a new one. she just stopped eating grain, but kept milking and she was skin and bone. Vet said switch her to something with molasses in it like Purina. well that did the trick and even tho I do think she was just being a brat, I'm glad I didn't lose her.

10. glenberryfarm

She was on grass hay before. I got some of that and mixed it with alfalfa. She seems to be eating hay ok now. This morning she took a nibble of the grain and then just chewed forever. What's weird is, she was eating the grain when she got here with no problem. It's not a pellet feed and there is a bit of molasses in it. Should I keep presenting her with the grain at milking until she accepts it?

She has been drinking, but I doubt as much as she should. i touched it with a drop of molasses and she drank.

I qustion what wormer to use. I have the Ivomec 1%, but it says not to use on lactating animals.
    Thanks so much for all of your help. It is so nice to know you are there!
    Faye

11. glenberryfarm

Oh, I forgot tao ask--should I give her alfalfa pellets?

12. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well, i think she will come around. you can add kool aid to her water, or gator aid. gator aid would be better. and I would just take some time, and take a chair out to where she is, and talk softly to her, and get her use to you. often times, that works, to break the ice. just try to put her at ease.my girls love the orange flavored kool aid, with just a little sugar. they laso love the gator aid, and at this point, it would be really good for her. and also the probious, lots of it. say 5 grains every couple of hours. just to keep her rummin up., and working.

13. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

I use Ivomec 1% orally with goats however there is a milk withholding time of 36 days. However, my personal withholding time is 5-6 days.

14. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Are you speaking from experience...Have you really stood on your head for you goats...? lol (just kidding) :D

15. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I feed alfalfa pellets instead of alfalfa hay because it is expensive in Texas and they were wasting too much of it. They don't waste their alfalfa pellets but 100% of them are consumed. They are high in calcium. Also beet pulp is high in calcium. If you try sprinkling some Black Oil Sun Flower Seeds (WalMart) over the top of her grain it might entice her to eat it. They are high in fat and good for your goat. Sometimes they do just have a hard time leaving the home they had known for so long and all of a sudden in a strange place, away from their herd mates. I would imagine, if she lets you, it might help to really try bonding with her. Sitting with her and talk to her and petting on her a lot. Just grooming her, brushing her and letting her know that you are there for her. Poor thing. I hope she comes around for you. The Vitamin B shot is a really good idea to get her appetite up. Don't give her the grain except on the milk stand. Put out your alfalfa pellets in her trough during the day to munch on and her hay and fresh water. My girls like it when I come out to eat with them. I have gone out and had a sandwich and coke with them in their pen and it makes them want to eat when they see me eating. Problem: They want MY sandwich! :) I hope she starts eating for you. Does she have a pen mate, another goat?

16. glenberryfarm

Thanks so much for your response. She is in a pen with 2 boer kids and a lamb. She is nibbling hay and I saw her chewing cud. She still isn't touching the grain. I will get the seeds and try that. This morning i saw that her droppings "plopped". My daughter inspected her droppings with a microscope and said "No worms" :) Who needs a vet-ugh!

17. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

That made me chuckle...sounds like my girls. One of them is the physical inspector with hands on every goat every day to be sure that nothing needs tending. Another one loves to check things under the microscope, a few don't really care and yet another just gives them all the tlc they need.

I on the other hand get the 2am, 4am etc shifts during birthing. But I can't complain.

18. glenberryfarm

She's back. I gave her a dose of Vit B complex and a sprinkle of the sunflower seeds yesterday. She has a an appetite again. :)
    Thanks so much for all of your help!
    Faye

19. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yeah , i figured she would come around, cant blame her for going off her feed though ,its been a change,
    odd htouhg that it took her a couple of days before she went foolish on you