New Mexico Folks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TheNelsons, Nov 14, 2005.

1. TheNelsons

TheNelsons Working towards our goals

We are going to be moving to NM in about a year and we are starting to plan. We would LOVE to hear from folks who are already there... What part are you in? How did you go about finding land? Conditions? Do you like it?
    You know just the general 1001 questions...

Thanks
    SnE

2. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

3. TheNelsons

The plan right now is close to Ruidoso, not in the city, but get our own land not too far. My hubby wants to teach on the reservation.

4. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

For major shopping you will wind up going to Roswell or Alamagordo. I prefer Roswell. Be sure you get water. Hauling is no fun. Also, check the land out. Some folks buy sight unseen and wind up with burned out forest. Bring a bucket of money--that area is considered resort and can be pricey compared to other parts of the state. It is pretty country! Be prepared for lots of tourists. You might also want to consider the 4 corners area. Lots of rez.

5. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

Have to agree that the Ruidoso area is quite pricey. I used to live in Alamogordo and we looked at property all the time and that was back in 1992-94. I can just imagine the prices now. Ruidoso is a tourist town, for sure. The area is beautiful and I went up there as often as possible.

6. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

7. TheNelsons

DesertDreamer: Thank you for your frank post. We appreciate hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    Now a little more back ground on me (Steph), I grew up in Lubbock and my family had a vacation property in Ruidoso so we went around 6 times a year for most of my childhood. However I went back after many years this past Jan for my 32nd birthday. I am aware that childhood "memories" are not enough reason to move to and work in any area... so we are trying to be VERY careful.
    My husband is currently at TSU in San Marcos Tx getting his masters in Ed. We just moved from Houston Tx to come here for this program. The Mescalero Apache Reservation is currently hiring teachers for the new school they are building (it may be finished, not sure) and that is the reason for picking that one at this time: I know the area and they have a new school.

I know that we dont want to live in Ruidoso proper and would not mind a drive to work (after Houston everything seems close)

What part of NM are you in, we are now also looking up at the four corners as was suggested, but if we can't buy land ANYWHERE in the state without constant issues from people we need to know now...

8. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

As a NM resident for the last 14 years, I haven't run into the type of problems with the beauracracy that desertdreamer describes. If anything, there hasn't been any problems. Some areas of NM, especially the eastern side have more of a problem with water, but not all. I live in an area with plenty of water and water rights available. I have no interest in moving to any other state in the future because of the lack of problems here in NM.

9. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

HarleysMom: do you see any DONKEYS in your area? Or know anyone who has DONKEYS. I have not found a Donkey owner I didn't get along with, and that should be a good indication of a good place to live, HUH!

10. TheNelsons

I like Donkeys, but I am not sure what they have to with this? **Grin** We have a great pry. LGD for our goats...

11. HarleysMom

Donkeyman, donkeys do well in NM. That is why I have 3 of them.

12. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

13. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

If your primary interest is working with and teaching Native American children, New Mexico has numerous reservations. I would suggest you contact the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque as they have an excellent Education department. I don't know as a fact, but am very sure they would have a teacher placement service. Your University may have some sort of relationship with other schools as far a placement for teachers.

Central western NM is very rural with generally gentle mountains. You will find a band of different reservations extending from the Zuni in the far west over to Albuquerque and then north along the Rio Grande.

14. HarleysMom

Desertdreamer, we are in the far southwest corner of NM. And you are right, there is probably not as much regulation here because there are fewer people. We are more rural and so have less problems from the powers that be.