Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! My name is Erin and I just purchased a pre-owned Mirro M-0622 Pressure canner. I have used a very similar canner before and the button popped up with pressure and fell when pressure was released. I noticed yesterday that the button on this one does not move at all and the weight doesn’t jiggle unless I touch it with a spoon. The weight basically just hisses while cooking. All my jars sealed after I pulled them out but I’m wondering if something is wrong? Thank you for any help!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Run a pipe cleaner through the vent to make sure there isn't any gunk stuck in there, and then do the same thing for your weights to make sure they can move freely. Are you letting it vent a steady stream of steam for 10 minutes before applying the weight? I'm a bit concerned that the pressure indicator button isn't popping to be honest... have you tried pushing it up from the underside to see if it's stuck?

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
974 Posts
Possibly you have a large pot on a small stove eye? I.e., the stove eye may not be putting out enough heat to rock the weight.

And make sure that you crank the setting up to "HIGH" until the weight starts rocking.

I assume that you do not have a steam leak around the top seal. A leak would have that effect as well.

Re: Leaving the weight off

If you do it, only have water in the pressure canner. I removed the weight from a regular pressure cooker once with tomatoes inside. It sprayed wet tomato residue all over the ceiling above the stove.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Run a pipe cleaner through the vent to make sure there isn't any gunk stuck in there, and then do the same thing for your weights to make sure they can move freely. Are you letting it vent a steady stream of steam for 10 minutes before applying the weight? I'm a bit concerned that the pressure indicator button isn't popping to be honest... have you tried pushing it up from the underside to see if it's stuck?
thank you so much for responding! I cleaned the vent and the weight. All looks good. I’m also concerned that the safety button doesn’t move at all. Even when I tip the lid upside down and pressed it. It literally doesn’t move at all. I tried to remove it with pliers but I can’t get the nut to turn inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly you have a large pot on a small stove eye? I.e., the stove eye may not be putting out enough heat to rock the weight.

And make sure that you crank the setting up to "HIGH" until the weight starts rocking.

I assume that you do not have a steam leak around the top seal. A leak would have that effect as well.

Re: Leaving the weight off

If you do it, only have water in the pressure canner. I removed the weight from a regular pressure cooker once with tomatoes inside. It sprayed wet tomato residue all over the ceiling above the stove.
Thank you for responding! I am testing it right now with water only. It’s venting now and I’m going to see if it’ll work. I’m mostly concerned about the safety button not moving at all.

·
Registered
861 Posts
thank you so much for responding! I cleaned the vent and the weight. All looks good. I’m also concerned that the safety button doesn’t move at all. Even when I tip the lid upside down and pressed it. It literally doesn’t move at all. I tried to remove it with pliers but I can’t get the nut to turn inside.
If I remember correctly on that model, that's actually another safety catch--when the pressure lifts it, it in turn lifts another locking mechanism into place. Have you looked online for the manual?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to look for the manual. I did find somewhere that it was made in 1976 but the age doesn’t bother me. I’ll take a picture real quick to show you what it looks like. I can’t attach a video, unfortunately.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok, that's not the model I was thinking of. :) ... but... is that the over-pressure emergency blow plug maybe?

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
974 Posts
I think the "safety button" may be a one-time blow-off pressure relief thing---not meant to move. The little round thing about the size of a dime that I see in your photo

At least the ones I have seen on pressure cookers are like that. If it blows out, I think it is not easily replaceable---if it can be replaced at all.

I thought you were talking about the little weight that normally rocks to release pressure.

That is two different things (I think).

This looks like yours:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/pics/Mirro-Pressure-Cooker-Canner-Instructions.pdf

If not:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/Pressure-Cooker-Canner-Manuals.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, that's not the model I was thinking of. :) ... but... is that the over-pressure emergency blow plug maybe?
I think it must be a one time blow plug! I just figured out how to get the weight to rattle. I had to adjust the heat setting down to 6 on my stove and it rattles regularly! I was confused because I thought all pressure canners had the button that came up and dropped. Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the "safety button" may be a one-time blow-off pressure relief thing---not meant to move. The little round thing about the size of a dime that I see in your photo

At least the ones I have seen on pressure cookers are like that. If it blows out, I think it is not easily replaceable---if it can be replaced at all.

I thought you were talking about the little weight that normally rocks to release pressure.

That is two different things (I think).

This looks like yours:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/pics/Mirro-Pressure-Cooker-Canner-Instructions.pdf

If not:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/Pressure-Cooker-Canner-Manuals.htm
Yes! I think you’re right about it being a one time blow plug! I figured out how to make the weight rattle by turning my temp down to 6 on my stove and it rattles consistently. Omg thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yes! I think you’re right about it being a one time blow plug! I figured out how to make the weight rattle by turning my temp down to 6 on my stove and it rattles consistently. Omg thank you so much for your help!
That's awesome! Glad you got it worked out!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts