New litters

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HoosierDeb, Jul 5, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I have 2 litters of Mini Lops. First mom kindled sometime in the early morning of the 3rd, three kits, all alive and healthy. Second kindled after midnight on the 4th, 5 healthy, chubby kits. Both have had babies before and are being very good moms. I'm a first time grandma though :D I'm having fun. I had 2 more does I bred at the same time but so far, nothing.. today is the 33rd day so I'm really not counting on them to have any. I have a doe due tomorrow who is not eating and is burrowing into her straw in her nest box but no hair pulling so far. The second doe didn't do it though until she had them so I'm confident she'll do okay.

2. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

congradulations on the kits. sometimes they go to 34 days, and some dont pull fur till rite before they give birth. she may also be having a false pregnacy.i would wait 2 days if nothing rebreed her, and try agian. good luck.

3. HoosierDeb

It's been 35 days today. I'll pull the box on Saturday and try to rebreed her then. Had another litter this morning from a doe I bred a few days after the others. She had 12, 3 were dead when I found them. I'm hoping they'll be warm enough as she didn't pull much hair. I took the dead kits and the afterbirths out, cleaned out some bloody straw and pulled what hair I could find over the babies. I have a feeling she had so many so fast that she couldn't take care of them all as the dead ones that were in the box (one was born outside on the wire) still had the membrane over them. It's warm here during the day but cooler at night. I pulled the straw down closer around them too and when I just went out and checked they seemed happy.. nobody seemed to be distressed or trying to move around to get warmer.

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I recently had a first time dutch mom that didn't pull hair until a week AFTER she had the kits. 12 is a lot for a ML. When I bred them 5-6 were the morn, with the occasional doe having 7-8. Never had more than 9 if I recall correctly. What colors do you have? I enjoyed my mini's, much better than my hollands. They are just too high strung.
    Roo
    BTW-would you be the same Deb on the serama board?

5. HoosierDeb

Not on the Serema board

In this litter it looks like I have mostly broken blacks and blacks. The mother is broken black and the father is broken gold tipped steel. I'm hoping for some steel babies. The ones in the other litters are 3 blacks, what looks like a black or blue tort, a broken black, one that might be a chestnut and 2 that look blue. The adults I have are mostly brokens, one solid blue, one solid chocolate chinchilla, broken black, broken chocolate, broken blue chinchilla, 2 siamese sable, one sable point, a broken orange, the broken g-tipped steel, 3 broken opals. I also have French Lops in Broken black, broken chestnut agouti, solid agouti, solid black, blue frosted pearl, tort, fawn, broken fawn and solid black chinchilla... I went from 3 rabbits to.... 44 rabbits in the space of a month and a half. LOL