New litter watch

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nehimama, Dec 1, 2005.

1. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

She isn't due quite yet, but she is a first-timer, and bears closer watching than the more experienced does. Dec 6 will be 30 days, but I've gone ahead and put in the nest box today and handfuls of hay. She's busily digging around in the box and carrying huge mouthfuls of hay into it.

Using my own recent advice, I've put the nest box in the corner where she does NOT poop or pee. We'll see if the doe follows my advice! :rolleyes:

She's a gorgeous, satiny black, blocky beauty bred to a black buck. Wonder what color the babies will be? LOL!

As it's so cold recently, I'll check on her several times a day 'til the kits arrive. I want to be sure there is a TON of hay jammed in there so the wee ones can burrow in and keep warm.

Wish us luck, please!

NeHi Mama

2. buckmaster

buckmaster Lover of Animals

good luck and hope all goes well. hope your first timer does well and blesses you with little ones. keep me posted on the upcoming events. buckmaster

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I hope that everything goes allright this time. By teh way, you might not want to joke about the babies colors, just wacth and see they could ALL be white, so be careful what you ask, LOL. See ya, bye.

4. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

I have a doe due on December 22. She is gray bred to a brown male but she usually has brown (looks like wild rabbits) babies. But I bred a white doe to the same brown male and they had black babies....LOL Hope your babies are healthy and many!!!

Jan

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

You're right, GoatFreak! Unless you're breeding PROVEN purebreds, you don't know WHAT colors you're going to wind up with. I'd imagine, though, that some of these kits oughta be black. :)

Thanks for the good luck wishes, buckmaster. Will keep you all posted.

NeHi