new lamb

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ajaxlucy, Apr 13, 2006.

1. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm posting to share my excitement that our first lamb (ever) was born yesterday . . . to our surprise. I knew this Shetland ewe was pregnant, but had no idea I'd walk out yesterday to find her with a chocolate brown ewe lamb, all cleaned off and dozing in the sun. The newborn and new mom are both adjusting fine. I'm just so glad no help was needed from me!

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

That's the way to do it, with no anxiety on your part :sing:

3. ajaxlucy

I know, I am so relieved not to have had to do anything but go out and admire her. Now I get to worry about how to introduce the dogs to their new charge.

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

if the dogs are okay wioth Momma ewe, Momma ewe will handle the intro of the dogs== just be present in case the dogs don't get the message..... do the intro one at a time, an hour or so apart. of course, one dog will thell the other all about it!

5. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

That reminds me of a friend who had a suprise August lamb. Her oldest and favorite ewe, hence the oldest thing, didn't settle for the season (suffolk) but she kept her anyway not expecting another lamb from her as she was almost 10. We forget about it for a long time. Then one summer day I come over to steal her mare, now my mare, for a short hack. I walk out there and ther Tracy the ewe is with a new baby, cleaned full and happy. Went to her house to ask her if she knew that she had a lamb in her pasture and the look on her face was priceless.

6. ajaxlucy

Terry,
    Thanks for the dog advice. I did as you suggested (with a fence between them) and everything seemed fine. My old dog just plopped down next to the fence so the lamb could come up and make friends. My 8-month old English Shepherd was much more excited, but managed to sit nicely and sniff and lick without any hijinks.
    So my next question is, how and when do I go about putting mom and baby in with the other sheep? I have a very dominant horned ewe who will get into a shoving match with my ram over any little thing. She wins, too. I'm afraid she could put her ornery head down and smash that little lamb in half a heartbeat if it just got between her and a nice looking clump of grass. Am I worrying unnecessarily? They're outside in adjoining pens now, not together.

7. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

Is the other ewe pregnant? If she is I wouldn't but them back in until she's had her lambs that way she'll have something else to occupy her mind and should be a little less ornery.

8. The_Shepherdess

The_Shepherdess Alannaeowyn

Congrats! Both of my ewes, first time mammas, did that this spring. I love that. You know, eat breakfast as your mother says things like, "Anna, get moving. You could have lambs out there, and not know!" And then you go out, feed older bottle lambs that your little brother sicked on you, finally reach the barn, thinking that said little brother probably would have seen any babies, you climb into the sheep pen to let them out for the day, and you catch sight of a little black head. Yippee! *insert more enthusiastic exclamations here*

9. ajaxlucy

She is pregnant, so I'll take your advice and keep them separated. Thank you.