Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been discussing with my DD7 about her getting a pet. She isn't into dogs, like her sister is, but she loves cats. So we have been thinking about adopting a kitten for her to help take care of, since her sister has a dog that is "hers".

My roommate took DD to the pet store with him today that we buy our saltwater fish from, because he needed to get more snails for his tank. Roommate calls me, says that they have stray kittens for adoption (that store has people dropping kittens off there all the time, I got our last cat from them 5 years ago....price is a $20 donation to the local SPCA). These kittens were left in a box outside their front door, where they found them this morning :flame: so no history on them at all.

Roommate asks pet store people all the right questions, since I'm not there: how old (they said 7-8 weeks was their guess), male or female (female) and short haired or long haired (short haired). My DD picked one out, and after a stern lecture given by me over the phone about responsibility, they bring kitten home with them.

So in comes this TINY little bit of nothing kitten.... and I realize the only thing the pet store got right is that she is a female. Maybe 5 weeks old, probably closer to four, and definately long haired. She was frantic when she got here, and once I realized how young she is it hits me that she probably hasn't been weaned. The only thing I had was a can of goats milk esbilac, so I mixed that with the taurine powder I give to my raw fed cats along with a few tablespoons of canned EVO for cats. Blended it up, and the poor little kitten ate like no tomorrow.

She's been at a pet store all day in front of a bowl of dry kibble (roommate confirmed) that she's too young to eat :flame::flame: and she has been there since before they opened at 8am.... so no food or fluids all day. She's mildly dehydrated, although the formula helped, and she's now happily purring in a little ball in my lap (making biscuits too :D).

I'm so mad at the pet store I could scream :mad:. I'm going to call them in the morning and let them know that the rest of the kittens are going to starve to death if they don't give them something they can eat - would have done it today but by the time I got this kitten straight they were closed. I've never had bad luck at this store, they're always knowledgable and know their stuff, that's why I didn't hesitate to say yes to this kitten sight unseen.

Aaarrrrggggg!!!!!

·
Canning Crazy
2,332 Posts
Ohh...thats so sad! I would be calling first thing when the open too. Good grief I hope the others dont pass away in the night.
And any pics of the kitten? My last kitten that I got was suppose to be 8 weeks old but she was more likely 5 weeks. Had to feed her with a syringe and kitten food/medicine frome the vet. We were lucky she made it.
But..are they not the sweetest thing in the world =)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
She's adorable. I think there's still hope that she might be short haired. Young kittens go through a very fuzzy stage and it can be hard to tell sometimes (it's even harder to tell through a picture though!).

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
She is a cutie. I think she will be short to meduim haired. She just has baby fuzz. Hard to tell her age since the picture is big and a 7 year old is holding her.
I had an abandoned kitten at 3-4 weeks old, she was tiny and sweet but she would not go to the bathroom. So I had to use a warm wet cotton ball, peeing just took seconds but popping, oh my did that one feel like forever. Thankfully it only took a week or so of that before she started using the litter box.
Good Luck with your new kitten.

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GoldenMom, her whole body is poofy, it doesn't show well in this picture, but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that she's going to be long haired when she's done growing out. We're going to have to buy some better brushes... My other three cats are all siamese mixes (one is a 22 lb siamese x Maine ****, the other two are siamese x bengal sisters), all short haired. This new kitten kinda looks like a snow leopard, again it doesn't show in the picture but her markings are very interesting. We'll have to see how she likes the dogs :p

DD named her Princess and is very happy with her. Princess slept in her bed last night and apparently was very well behaved, and she's using her litter box :D

I called the pet store this morning, they assured me that they had it under control... they apparently pulled the kibble this morning when they realized it wasn't getting eaten and gave the kittens canned food, which they promptly inhaled. I feel sorry for the people who adopt them, with that diet change and the greasy canned food in their systems they are going to have some serious diarrhea!

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
What a face! That is one cute kitty! How could you not just love on her! Good Luck!

Hmm, I think I have the second the short haired. My in-laws have a litter every once in awhile & every time they turn 4-5 weeks old, they insist that this time they have longed haired kittens. By the time they turn 8-10 weeks old, they haven't really gotten too hairy.

My long hairs were always very poofy with cotton-like hair at that age. Usually about 1.5-2 in. long. Little furballs!

But I would much rather have those shorties, much easier to keep clean & neat!

·
Canning Crazy
2,332 Posts
Oh my...that kitten is sooooo adorable!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts