new kids with snotty noses

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, May 17, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I purchased 4 boer kids this past weekend. They are eating good, but the weaning from mom and the travel (we went out of state to get them) was a little stressful. I noticed that 1 had a snotty nose yesterday, and this morning 2 more have the same thing. They seem to feel ok, could it be a change in environment, we are quite a bit more humid here? Also, he said he treated them for coccidia, should I treat them again, or run fecals first? I didn't know if the stress could cause a "flare-up" of coccidia. Also, should I just keep an eye on the snotty noses or go ahead and treat them for it? If I should treat them, what should I use and what is the dosage? Thanks for all your help!! :confused:

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not know if you should retreat...I'd be worried about them becoming toxic...

I would give them so probiotics 2-3 times aday to help them rebuild rumen after being stressed.

Sometimes if the weather is wet, damp and cool goats will present this way...as long as appetites are good and not weasy, sunshine is whats lacking.

3. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

get a fecal done. Stress will allow the worms and cocci better able to infect. Pneumonia can also be a real threat w/ internal parasites. If teh snot goes green take their temps. If they don't have a temp it is not pneumonia.