New kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

A new boer doe just had a kid today. The little girl is 11lbs. I could not believe he doe was suck a good mother. She had the baby , dried it, got her drinking. Just like it happened every day.
    She is a keeper. I don't have another doe that would do so good. I have to be there for every birth. Some have the kids easy, but don't care for them, some care for them, but don't dry them well. We live in Ontario where a wet kid will die quickly.
    Does any one else have does that birth so well? Are my other does just not very good?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

First off, congrats on the new kid. :)
    Does *should* be able to birth, clean kids, dry kids and nurse kids by themselves unless something goes wrong. If you must be there for every birth because does are not doing their job, then in my opinion, its time for some serious culling and reworking of the herd. The only way I'd cut a doe some slack is if the problem was the kid getting too cold, if it was some Serious cold like I'm sure you get. Not mothering, not cleaning kids, etc.....those does need to shape up after their first freshening or they would be gone, if I hadn't sold them after their failure with their first kids. Mothering ability is genetic.....so keeping bad mothers isn't going to get the situation any better. :shrug:
    I hope thats not too harsh.....but that is my opinion about slackers in motherhood. :)

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

My does seem to "do it all themselves" just fine-other than the occasional tangle up of multi-kids-which is not the does fault! I had 2 does that i considered "Earth Mothers"--after cleaning them off, they took their chin and pushed the little ones between their front legs, too the udder! Now THAT is mothering well! :hobbyhors Congrat's on a healthy doe kid! :)

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Great news Rob30!!!!
    My small herd of Does have their motherly acts together...Except for one, last year (first freshener) she produced no milk, well maybe eight ounces per day. Folks with much more goat experience said "cull her". Well I listened, understood, and still kept her around for this years kidding season. I've got to say if she duplicates last year's performance she'll be culled immediately. LESSON LEARNED!!!! My point is, sometimes you have to do what's necessary for yourself and your herd...Stay warm.

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Congratulations on the baby. That is a big girl. I have never had a doe that has not cleaned up the baby or babies. Sometimes maybe it is just experience.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on the baby!

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Yesterday I found all five of my new kids in a 'heap' - no telling which head belonged to which body, and the three mothers on a different side - blocking the wind......it was pretty cold for here yesterday, and I sure was proud of those girls!

Now, I know you are talking about boers, but I have had to 'teach' my dairy does how to mother, as they all came from CAE free, CAE prevention practicing herds. They had never been allowed to lick off a baby, or nurse one themselves. I have found that they get better at it every year..

Niki

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats interesting as all my dairy does raised their kids last year(60+ head at the time). All of them mothered their kids wonderfully though half of the does came from CAE prevention farms and had never raised kids before. Instints are amazing and goats are *such* individuals. :)

9. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new baby. Stay warm and keep them warm. Good luck!

10. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new baby! Hopefully we'll have one ourselves by the end of the day.

11. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

My goats have always been good mothers. I will see if Aspen proves me wrong in her upcomming first kidding.