New Kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nubiannana, Apr 12, 2006.

1. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

I just purchased and new kid last night. He is a beautiful spotted, full blood Nubian, a little over a week old and I'm bottle feeding him. My question is, isn't there something that I'm supposed to give hime for the stress of moving to a new location? I know he misses his mother and sister. He's taking the bottle very good, 3 times a day. He's not eating any grain yet, but I did put some in his mouth this morning and he works on it. lol He's so adorable! Should I give him a vitamin shot or anything. Thanks!

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Congrats. on the new kid. Probios is good to give when animals are stressed. If you don't have the probios, use plain yogurt. It balances the good bacteria in the rumen, and aids digestion. Also, you can give a bit of Nutri-drench, a vit./min. quick energy supplement.
    I wouldn't force the grain on him. Just have it available in a dish for him, and he will discover it. Lastly, your kid needs a buddy. Is he the only kid?

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Probios is good for him. He's too young to be much interested in grain, but keep a little hay available for him. He could use another baby goat for a companion.

4. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

Thank you for the replies. I'll pick some Probios up and give him some. I was worried about him not eating the grain yet, but your posts have helped me. I do have some grain out in a dish along with some loose minerals. I work part time, so I'm only able to bottle feed him 3 times a day and I was worried he wasn't getting enough. He also has access to good grass hay. I do wish I could get him a companion tho. I put him in with my two does, but one of the girls worries him by following him around and putting her head down like she's going to butt him but she really doesn't. So for now, I'm keeping them apart. Maybe this weekend, I can get him a "little" companion. He is so preciouse. He jumps up into my lap like a little pup. I absolutely LOVE goats! :eek:)
    Also, I would like some input as to how much I'm feeding him. I bottle feed him 3 times a day and he gets 8 ounces. Is this enough? I don't want to starve him, but I don't want him to get sick either. Thanks again!